One-Winged Demon.

I woke up naturally; Simon was still asleep. I was feeling stickier than ever, craving for a hot shower more than anything in life. I got up and got betrayed by my own body: my legs were wobbly and my muscles were deeply sore. I fell butt flat on the floor; all I heard was a muffled chuckle. He saw me in my disgrace moment. Damn it...!

- Are you okay there, sweetie...?

- Besides the embarrassment, I'm perfectly fine!

- Let me help you, babe... - he got up, clearly trying to hold a giggle.

- As you should! - my face was burning hot. - Let's keep in check that this is your fault!

- I'm not denying. - his snicker annoyed me. - I said I would take care of you. I just didn't specified how.

- I just need to get used to it!

- I don't think you would.

- Here we go again! The big dick energy making itself present! - I clapped my hands in annoyance while he easily lifted me in his arms.

- You nag about the results but likes to enjoy the process... - he finally giggled a bit.

- Oh, you knock it off right now, Simon!

- Never.

Ghost carried me to the bathroom; he sat me on the toilet and started to set the bathtub. He found a bath bomb on a small basket, unwrapped it and let it fizzle on the running hot water. The lavender aroma coming from it invaded the whole bathroom. He was clearly uncomfortable with the scent.

- I don't know how you like these strong smells without choking on it.

- It's a matter of taste, babe.

- Should I be worried that our place will be reeking of sweet and floral?

I thought he was misspelling or I was second guessing. My eyes widened in confusion.

- Wait... OUR place?!?

- I was planning on discuss a few subjects with you after this deployment, but your little fight caused a delay.

- We have the time now; we can discuss that right now! Come on, spill it out!

Simon looked at me with an amused smile; he definitely expected that reaction. I felt like I was all over the place, in a mixture of excitement with confusion and curiosity. I knew I wanted more with him, but never took the possibility of living together as a couple due to his line of work and also his personal boundaries...

To me, that was just a wet dream... Living together, share our daily lives, enjoy menial tasks and chores. He was always being nonchalant about relationship topics that I would consider important, and seeing him thinking about us living together was an unexpected personal victory.

We discussed small things, one step at a time. He was genuinely interested about what I wanted for our life together. We enjoyed our aromatic bath; for each back rub he was leaving a teasing kiss on my neck. Making out with Simon was therapeutic, no matter where we're at.

While we were ordering something to eat, his phone rang loudly. That was the first time I saw him letting the phone settings on. He beckoned for me to keep ordering the hotel food service while he was answering his phone. I couldn't help my own curiosity and ended up eavesdropping.

- ...Nothing out of the ordinary. Negative. She had a nightmare, but she went back to sleep right after. - a long pause happened. - Affirmative. I'll send the report. Ghost out.

As he noticed that I overheard his phone conversation, Simon grunted in annoyance.

- I gave you a simple task.

- I already did it.

- You also had one job.

- I'm curious; can't help it.

- You're threading on dangerous waters, Elise.

- It is about my misdemeanor?

- Affirmative.

- Should I be worried?

- You did nothing wrong.

- I'll believe you.

-As you should, sweetie.

Simon walked towards me with a reassuring look in his eyes, but I was still uncomfortable. Something was off but I couldn't wrap my mind around it. He lifted up my chin with a finger and kissed me on the lips. I had no other thought than to reciprocate passionately. His raspy groan made me feel butterflies fluttering in my stomach. I was already reaching out for the hem of his sweatpants to try to pull him towards me, but knocks on the door just interrupted us. Simon growled in annoyance, side eyeing over his shoulder. The door was knocked again and an unfamiliar voice followed up.

- Food service!

Simon had put on his balaclava, slowly grabbed his pistol, unlocked it and placed behind his back. While walking to the door, the knock was heard again. I was feeling uneasy, with a weird anxiety building up.
As he opened the door, a man was pushing a food cart, noticeably frightened by Simon's masked huge figure. He immediately left; didn't wait for tips.

- He seemed nervous... Too nervous.

- I believe I collaborated for that. - he scoffed.

- Let's eat and prepare to leave. I don't want to stay a minute longer in this country.

- Wait... Don't move...!

Before I could react to anything, a click sound washeard coming from one of the plates. Simon violently grabbed me by one arm and we stormed out of the room.

A heat wave hit our backs.
My back hurts. Tinnitus.
Explosion.
Alarms echoing. People panicking.
Many wounded.

Dead? I don't know.
My forehead is bleeding.
Metallic taste in my tongue.
Simon's right arm is broken.

Someone wanted us dead.