39. Permanent damage

Start from the beginning

"I don't believe in fairy tales. Do you?" Foyet asked.

"That's the thing, George. This isn't a fairy tale. You don't have to write this story. You don't have to do any of this. I know you're exhausted. Always looking over your shoulder, always wondering when the other shoe is gonna drop. Haven't you gotten what you wanted? You've set yourself apart from anybody we've ever dealt with. You're not just a famous serial killer, you're the Reaper. We're gonna study you and your methods for years and years." Hotch explained. JJ, Morgan, Emily, Spencer and Rossi listened as Hotch went on about Foyet and his legacy.

When Hotch didn't hear a response for a few minutes, he exhaled, until he heard Foyet's voice again.

"You know what I've been thinking? Haley looks pretty good with dark hair. She's lost some weight. Must be all the stress you caused her. Where's the little man, and his cute cousin?" Hotch knew that Foyet was watching Haley. He almost threw his phone, but gripped it tighter.

"Oh, there they are." Foyet smiled when he saw Jack jump into Haley's arms as she and Cassidy walked into the house.

"Does he like Captain America because of you?" Foyet asked.

Hearing a cell phone ring, everyone remained silent, until Foyet spoke.

"That's your wife. Hold, please." Foyet smiled as he grabbed his other phone.

"Mrs. Hotchner." Foyet spoke, changing his voice.

"I'm here." Haley nodded, looking at Cassidy.

"Open the gate and I'll drive in." Foyet asked.

"Okay." Haley moved to go and open the gate. Foyet ended his call with Haley.

"Aaron? I really gotta go." Foyet explained before ending the call, leaving everyone shocked and confused.

———
(Morgan's Interview)

"And you still didn't know where Foyet was?" Strauss asked as she looked at Morgan, who couldn't make eye contact with her.

"The phone belonged to a U.S. Marshal. It was designed to bounce between towers, so we could not pinpoint his location." Morgan explained.

"And Agent Hotchner was driving around aimlessly." Strauss accused, Morgan shaking his head.

"No. He wasn't. We had Foyet's profile, and we knew if we followed it, we would know were he took Hotch's family." Morgan finally made eye contact with Strauss, clearly sick of her mind games.

"All right, Foyet has to be in control. He had Haley come to him." Morgan spoke, looking at the team.

"Yeah, but where would he take her?" Spencer asked, confused.

"He'd want Hotch to find him, to see where he was, to see what he did." JJ looked away.

"Which means?" Emily asked, confused.

"He said something on that call that tells Hotch where to go." Rossi explained.

"Reid, what did he say, exactly?" Morgan looked at Spencer, who exhaled.

"Haley looks pretty good with dark hair. She's lost some weight. Must be all the stress you caused her. Where's the little man, and his cute cousin? Oh, there they are. Does he like Captain America because of you? That's your wife. Hold, please. Mrs. Hotchner. Open the gate and I'll drive in." Spencer recounted the call, looking up at Rossi and Morgan.

"Open the gate?" Rossi asked, confused.

"It would be someplace with the biggest emotional impact for Hotch." Emily suggested.