38. Familial harm

Start from the beginning

"I should just start at the beginning." JJ took a moment before beginning to explain.

"Foyet had done a lot of injury to himself in the original string of killings, in an effort to paint himself as a victim and throw us off the investigation. As a result, he became dependent upon a large number of extremely strong medications." JJ started to explain.

"We'd been searching the country for patients with that exact prescription combination, but we hadn't had any luck." JJ spoke.

JJ stood at the pharmacy with Henry and Will. She was talking to Anderson, who was at the BAU, informing her of steps that had been taken to track down Foyet.

"Next." The pharmacist spoke. JJ and Will walked up to the counter, putting some medicine on the bench.

"Here we are." The pharmacist spoke as she put a bag in front of JJ and Will.

"Oh, actually, there should be 2 prescriptions." JJ corrected her.

"We filled the antibiotics, but we're out of the antihistamine. You know, crushing half a claritin would do the job just the same. Save you a couple bucks, too." The pharmacist informed JJ, who looked at her for a few seconds before coming to a realisation.

"Wait- Excuse me, are there a lot of over-the-counter medications that can be substituted for prescription?" JJ asked.

"Too many to count. Most of the time, it's just a matter of dosage." The pharmacist nodded.

JJ raced back to the BAU, managing to talk with Hotch.

"Foyet's meds- we have been tracking the entire combination. What if he's been using over-the-counter medsfFor some of it to mask his purchases?" JJ suggested, Hotch nodding.

"Okay, narrow the search. Focus on the meds he can't substitute. Good work." Hotch smiled.

———
(Garcia's Interview)

"Are you all right?" Strauss asked as Garcia tried to look at her, but couldn't.

"I- I'm just not, uh, comfortable with any of this. It's not okay." Garcia tried to remain calm.

"What do you mean?" Strauss asked as she sat down.

"In my opinion, everyone is asking the wrong questions. Doesn't anybody care about what the Reaper did to them, how many people he hurt? All anyone seems to care about is..." Garcia wanted to continue, but she couldn't.

"This just isn't right." She shook her head.

"Do you think that Agent Hotchner was acting...agitated or unreasonable?" Strauss tried to ask the question without judgement.

"He...no, no, he- he was freaked out about his family. Which, considering what happened, I'd say was perfectly reasonable." Garcia could feel the tears.

"The Foyet letters came from Fredericksburg, Virginia, and Westminster, Maryland." Hotch spoke to Garcia.

"We can match the prescription drugs Foyet can't substitute with a geographic profile of the 2 cities." JJ smiled.