34. Old enemy returns

Start from the beginning

———

Spencer, JJ and Hotch arrived at the crime scene, receiving a bit of backlash from the lead detective, until Hotch showed the letter that he had been given.

"Nina Hale, 19, and Evan Harvey, 23. Nina's throat was slashed, she was stabbed 46 times. Evan was bludgeoned and then shot. No shell casings were found." Spencer read the file as he and Hotch got closer to the area. They looked at the car with the symbolic eye outlined in blood.

"He preferred revolvers, .44 magnum. The younger the female victim, the more time he spends with them, usually with a knife." Hotch got closer to the car, inspecting the inside.

"Tan line on her wrist. Probably wearing a watch of some sort." Spencer explained as he looked at the images of the dead bodies. Hotch looked at the image of the male before looking at one of the crime scene techs.

"Do we have his wallet?" Hotch asked.

"The Reaper took items from each victim and placed them on the next, so as to make sure we knew it was him. No corrective lens requirement." Hotch looked through the wallet with gloves on, identifying a key bit of information.

"The glasses aren't his?" Spencer questioned, confused.

"He only took glasses from one victim - the ninth. We should have found them on the tenth and we didn't. They were never found." Hotch exhaled.

"What was so special about the ninth victim?" Spencer asked, confused.

"He survived." Hotch shook his head.

———

Spencer, Hotch and JJ made their way to the precinct, sitting down in the conference room. They turned on the laptop in front of them and pulled up a picture of a man with glasses.

"George Foyet, 28, was the ninth victim and the only one to survive the Reaper." Hotch informed the team as images of Foyet's injured body appeared on the screen.

"Not for lack of trying." Rossi scoffed as the team looked at the images.

"Amanda Bertrand, 19, his date for the evening, was not as lucky. He likes to attack them inside or near their cars, at night, on poorly lit, less populated roads." Hotch shook his head.

"Foyet said he approached them pretending to be a lost tourist. In the hospital, we put Foyet with a sketch artist." Sergeant O'Mara spoke.

"The Reaper always uses some sort of ruse to get close to and spend time with his victims." Hotch exhaled.

"The eye...as he depicts it, appears to be the eye of providence, a symbol adopted by the U.S. Government and incorporated into the great seal in 1782 with the words, "Annuit coeptis" inscribed beneath. That's Latin for "providence"- Or fate - "has favoured our undertakings." The Reaper seems to see himself as the personification of fate." Spencer rambled on, holding up the letter that Hotch was given.

"So, how did Foyet survive?" Emily asked, confused. Hotch pressed a button on the laptop which played a recording.

"9-1-1. What's your emergency?" The operator asked.

"I murdered 2 more." The deep voice spoke.

"Excuse me, sir, did you say you murdered someone?" The operator asked, confused.

"Victims 8 and 9. By a silver Toyota on Riverton past the Tyson Quarry." The deep voice spoke before the line went dead.

"That call was made from a payphone about a mile from the crime scene. E.M.T.'s arrived 15 minutes later. Bertrand was D.O.A., Foyet barely breathing." Spencer informed the team.