Chapter Forty Two

Start from the beginning

"More than tough enough to slaughter unarmed farmers."

"I thought you were recruiting in the south?" Kapalos asked.

"We are.  But there are not enough men to guard each korion.  We need more men."

"That won't be easy," Hasamo's deep voice rumbled.  "The northmen have all returned to Pelavale to rebuild herds and families.  We train many young men here when they are old enough to hold a spear, but they are also needed to plow and plant and harvest.  They are willing to defend their homes if attacked, but not many will make that sacrifice for strange and distant koria."

Kaelis threw back his head, laughter ricocheting from the stone walls of the chamber.  "Gather all the men from here to the frozen north; it will do you no good!  The oracle of the Most High has amassed the men from a hundred koria.  Those too old or too young to fight push plows and harvest crops for the oracle.  Even the women make spears for his vast soreavs.  When that host comes north, you'll wish you were back in your mountains having your little tussle with the angorym!"

As Kaelis laughed, the elders gave Karux worried and questioning looks.

Karux nodded.

 -=====|==

Theris swung the massive scythe, enjoying the pull of muscles across his back and shoulders as he cut down huge swaths of wheat with each swing.  The men of the village were on the far side of the field singing a harvest song as they mowed wheat with smaller bronze sickles.  At midday, their wives came out to the fields bearing baskets of food and jars of beer.

Theris put down his scythe and wiped the sweat from his brow, turning toward the smiling Asophra as she gave him a kiss.  He slipped an arm around her waist and pulled her close.

"Ew!  You're all sweaty," she said.

He stole another kiss.  "Not as sweaty as I'm going to be."

"Here," she handed him the jar of beer.  "This should cool you down."

Theris took several swallows and sighed his pleasure.  "It will merely bank the coals so they may burn all the brighter this evening."  He smiled suggestively.

"Come.  Let us retire to the shade," she said formally as if unmoved by his hinting.

"A most excellent suggestion."  Theris picked up his scythe and followed her to a tree at the edge of the field under which she spread a blanket and began laying out food.

"You know, you don't really have to out-mow the entire korion."

Theris laughed.  "They issued the challenge.  Besides, it's hardly a fair contest."  He propped the scythe up against the tree.  "With this thing, I can do the work of a half-dozen men with each sweep."

Asophra looked nervously up over her shoulder at the thing behind her.

The adamantine blade was smoky gray and partially translucent as if the strange metal might contain hidden depths.  Compared to the bronze sickles the other farmers wielded, his scythe seemed absurdly long and thin, yet he knew the elemental blade would never bend or break or even dull.

Asophra shuddered as she looked at it.  "Still, I wish they hadn't given it to you.  It looks dangerous.  It looks like it would cut through anything.  Please be careful.  I fear you will hurt yourself."

Theris laughed.  "Yes, I suppose this dwerkan blade could cut through just about anything.  But look how straight my cuts are!  It never goes but where I tell it."

After their meal Asophra returned to the village and the men returned to their mowing, their chants echoing across the fields as the sun slid into late afternoon.  The sky had threatened rain so the mowers were determined to bring in all the grain they could before the last of the light failed them.