Chapter 24

WEST OF DALEN A-SORGUD

A massive bird of prey came to a quick but graceful landing on the ground beside Sariel. The group of winged Myndarym parted to make room for his sleek, brown form. With massive talons embedded into the soft earth, the bird's head swiveled toward Sariel and its golden eyes fixed on his. Then its form began to shimmer.

"You were right—eleven Anduarym," it said, as soon as it wore its angelic body. "They're moving quickly across the plains to the west."

Sariel breathed deeply, readying himself for the last charge. "And the weapons?"

"Each one of the brutes is carrying at least two bundles," the Myndar replied.

Sariel nodded. The Anduarym are made for this sort of thing. Then he looked around at the peculiar assortment of winged creatures that made up his untrained group and was struck by the contrast. All of them were large, even in their animal forms, but none were designed for war. Few were even capable of a meaningful attack. It would be a challenge to make use of them in a capacity that wouldn't result in their deaths.

"Alright," he said to the group. "We'll have to move together and attack as one. We'll only get one chance. After the first strike, they'll change formation to ensure they're protected on all sides. With their weapons, we won't be able to do anything; it'll become a waiting game. So, the first priority is to disarm them. Grab those bundles and anything else they're carrying. If you can do that, they'll be vulnerable for when the others arrive."

"What about you?"

Sariel looked to the one who had scouted the Anduarym. His golden eyes were bright behind disheveled, brown hair. He almost looked like an Iryllur. "You and I have weapons," he replied. "I want you to sink those talons deep into Anduar flesh and not let go until your prey is dead."

The Myndar squinted, but remained silent.

"Let's go," Sariel said, taking to the air once more.

~

Vast plains stretched to the horizon, bordered on the south by mountains and water to the north. Sariel led the flying Myndarym swiftly across the terrain, staying close to the ground to keep their outlines visually obscured for as long as possible.

At the center of the wide flatlands, a small cluster of shapes could be seen moving due west. Their silhouettes were barely visible against the harsh backdrop of the setting sun, frequently disappearing as the fleeing soldiers moved in and out of the trees. The occasional glint of light reflected from the metallic weapons slung across their broad shoulders. The long and muscular legs of the Anduarym carried them quickly across the land, and it appeared that they were trying to reach Semjaza as quickly as possible.

But they were no match for the swift wings of the Shapers. As the Myndarym came upon the soldiers, Sariel pulled back slightly to tighten the formation and give the signal to attack. Then he dove and pumped his wings furiously to gain speed. He brought his hands together and flexed his arms until his vaepkir were at their fullest extension. With silent precision, he targeted a space between two Anduarym and quickly retracted his wings at the last moment before impact. His narrow outline shot through the gap, but the weapons collided with the back of the soldiers' legs, chopping their sturdy footing from underneath them. With most of his forward movement coming to an abrupt halt, Sariel instantly tucked into a ball and rolled as he hit the ground.