Chapter 12

Nova had put her hair up in a regal updo with a single braid running along the side and to keep it all together she had clipped it all up with a golden pin in the shape of a crane. Her makeup was minimal, she was thankful that she never needed a lot as her face was naturally perfect. She had just put on some mascara and glittery gold eyeshadow on the corners of her eyes. She had on her dress already and looked at herself in the mirror and smiled.

I look like royalty... She thought to herself and swayed her dress watching the layers all interact with eachother. She looked at the time and cursed, she was going to be late! She grabbed her mask and a purse to put all of her things in and left.

She got to town hall and followed where the other smartly dressed guests were going until she reached the entrance of the gala. She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to see Robbie dressed up in a fancy purple striped suit with a purple mask that curved around his face tightly. Nova hadn't seen him dressed this smartly since the last gala she had been to.

"Nova, you look beautiful as always." He smiled astonished.

"You can cut the act, Robbie no one's listening in." Nova rolled her eyes.

"It's not an act, Nova, you look as pretty as you looked on our wedding day." He said softly.

Nova looked up at him surprised at his kurtness and tucked a strand of noose hair behind her ear timidly.

"Thank you Robbie... You look good too..." She smiled.

Robbie held out his arm for her to link with and she obliged and they walked into the ball together. It was a lot bigger than she had expected, the whole town must have come. There was a dance floor and snack tables filled with cakes and jellies and meats. She watched the kids who were all dressed smartly run across the floor probably playing tag and she chuckled at their antics.

"Come on, lets get down there and mingle" Robbie said in her ear so she could hear him. There was a mini orchestra playing beethoven and Nova already felt herself wanting to dance but she held back her instinct and followed Robbie. Robbie handed her a skewer of chicken and she give him a little curtsy bow as thanks and ate it.

"As horrible as our families were, I do miss their annual balls." Nova said in Robbies ear.

"They were the one time a year we could be kids" Robbie smiled watching everyone start to dance to Britten's Boisterous Bourrée.

"Yea.. Sometimes i wish i could go back to being 12 again, hiding under the tables and sharing mamas chocolate cake..." She swooned dreamily.

Robbie stared down at her wonderstruck,

"Then lets go back to then, come on, i think i spy a chocolate cake on that table over there..." He schemed and Nova laughed tapping him on the chest,

"No we're far to old for that now!" She giggled gaining back her composure.

"Well then, how about a dance?" He asked. "As Husband and wife?"

Nova looked up at him pained, She knew she agreed to be his wife for another month, but she could not keep his hopes up,

"About that..." She said sadly.

Robbie wasn't looking forward to what she was about to say and his cheeks turned pale.

"I can't pretend to be your wife anymore... I don't want to keep anything from my neighbours, and..." She paused thinking of the right way to say it.

"I'm in love with someone else." She finally admitted.

"What?" Robbie blurted.

"With Sportacus." She uttered.

Robbie sputtered trying to say something but was cut short when Stingy had come up to Nova and was tugging at her dress.

"Would you like to dance?" He asked Nova.

Nova looked at him rattled and then looked at Robbie apologetically, "Of course honey." She said gently and held his hand walking off into the growd.

Robbie tugged at the tie around his neck and swallowed down the frog in his throat. Venus slinked over to his said with her arms crossed.

"Want me to deal with her?" She asked chewing gum.

"No, leave her to me, I want you to deal with him." Robbie growled pointing to a smartly dressed Sportacus who had just entered the ball.