Chapter 22 Dedicate your Hearts

Start from the beginning

This causes everyone to flinch in shock. Hange says, "W-what did you just say?"

"Just when the Rumbling happens, Zeke was being taken by the Yeagerists to the dungeon, to make sure the panic doesn't reach the civilians, they tell everyone that Zeke is dead. I believe that they are going to hold a meeting to determine the fate of Zeke Yeager."

"Tch." Levi says, "I was right this whole time."

Then he says, "Hange, I'm sorry, but all this time my goal is to kill Zeke. This is a promise that I made with Erwin."

"Levi..." Hange is shocked.

"I always thought that life on the ground is different from the underground, but seeing the struggles Eren and the Yeagerists are making, I realize they are not different after all."

He turns to Onyankopon and says, "Besides, I may be still alive, but at my state, I won't be able to do a thing to those Colossal Titans. If you're going back to Paradis, bring me back."

Hange, Jean, Connie, and Onyankopon are shocked to hear what Levi said. And Hange closes her only eye and says, "I see..."

Then they all head back to the others, Jean and Connie find that Armin is with the Marleyans. Jean sits down and frowns, and Armin asks, "Guys? What's wrong?"

"It turns out that Captain Levi isn't going to come with us to stop the Rumbling. All he wants is to get back to Paradis Island to kill Zeke." Connie says.

"But Zeke is dead, right?" Colt asks, "Pieck and Captain Magath killed him, right?"

"Sad to say, no." Jean says. "Onyankopon reveals that the Yeagerists saved Zeke at the last moment and they put him in the dungeon on Paradis Island."

"So they lied to us... again..." Armin frowns. "So without Captain Levi, Annie, Gabi, and Falco... there are only seven of us who are trying to stop the Rumbling..."

"We want to help as well." Falco says.

"No, you two are still kids, and we're not going to let you get yourselves killed." Pieck says.

"What does it even matter if we're kids or not? We are Warrior Candidates and we've been training for these!" Gabi retorts. "We can fight as well..."

"Besides, if our parents really are trampled to death, then at least we'll also join them." Falco says.

"Gabi... Colt..." Reiner mutters in surprise.

"So this is Fort Salta... are there really airships here?" On a train, Annie's father is pointing the rifle at a Marleyan driver.

"We won't know until we get up that mountain. Do you really plan to flee using the airships, you Eldian scum?"

"Watch your tongue, Marleyan. It's thanks to who that you're not flattened under the Rumbling? If there's no hangar, your families die from the Rumbling. If you betray, we'll kill you. This is the only way for all of us to survive. It doesn't matter if the chances are low. We are surviving this."

On the train, a lot of people are sitting in despair, Falco's father is trying to comfort Gabi's parents. "Don't worry, Mr. Braun. My son is strong, so she's with Colt and Reiner in Paradis..."

"Our child is on the devil's island? She won't make it!" Gabi's father says.

"We could've been together in our last moments, if it wasn't for the warrior program..." Gabi's mother laments, and Karina hears everything.

"Reiner..." She looks at the armband and mutters.

"Mr. Finger, just throw away that armband." A man says to Pieck's father.

"This... is what my daughter earned after sacrificing everything for me..."

Just then, they are shocked to see that the airships are leaving, Annie's father grits his teeth and says, "Damn it! Hurry! There will be spare airships!"

"I know." But they also notice that the Colossal Titans are moving, and they realize that the airships are a bombing fleet. They're going to blast the Titans to smithereens from above.

Once the train arrives at the fort, they find that the zeppelins are all left to attack, and in the fort, Muller says, "This is an announcement to the zeppelin unit and all our forces still in this port. This place... is the last remaining stronghold left for humanity if we don't count Paradis Island and Hizuru. The weight on your shoulders is unimaginable. However, no matter the outcome, it will not be your responsibility alone. We are all responsible... every single grown man and woman. We used hatred against one another. We cultivated it and believed that it could save us. We blamed all of our problems and inadequacies on "The devils of the island" And the result, those monsters are coming to return all the hatred we've poured onto them for centuries. If somehow, there is a future for us... I swear right here and now, to not repeat that mistake. If we live to see tomorrow..."

At the same time, Karina remembers the past when she was with Reiner, she kneels down and says, "All this time... my little boy... I... used him to get revenge... I never treated him... like a mother... should I did the same..."

While the others are trying to comfort them, Muller continues, "I want you all to vow... to put the era of hatred behind us. The zeppelin unit is in formation! Start the attack as soon as you reach the target altitude! Let's build a world where we all treat one another with kindness. And bid farewell to the monsters here and now!"

The bombs are destroying the Titans from above, and they manage to kill some of the Colossal Titans, but most of them are missing the tragets. The Colossal Titans aren't fazed as they continue to move forward.

"As we predicted, many of them are missing the target!" "Don't stop! Everything depends on this attack!"

But just after they finish throwing the bombs, they realize that there are still more Titans. They are forced to retreat to Fort Salta, but they realize they don't have time to refuel the bombs.

"The Zeppelin unit... the bombs... they're not enough!" "But there's no time to refuel it!"

Muller closes his eyes and mutters, "Forgive us... You children... are completely innocent..."

Annie's father says, "I'm sure both Reiner and Annie are alive and well on Paradis Island. They won't die before their parents..."

"Yes, they're alive, I'm sure of it. And that's enough for me." Karina replies.

Just then, Onyankopon finally gets to the top of the Rumbling, he says, "We're finally catching up to the Rumbling. I'll be dropping you to the fort over there, and we'll leave the fate to you."

"You've done a lot." Hange says, "Thank you."

At the same time, Annie looks outside the window and she's surprised to see her father standing beside Reiner's mother. "That's my father!"

Gabi and the others are peeking out the window and Falco says, "Our parents as well!"

"We need to find them!" Gabi says.

Armin asks, "So Annie, your father is still alive. Are you still going to stay on the Flying boat?"

"No, I'm going to see him... even if this might be the last time." Annie says.

Before they are going to jump down, Levi says, "Hey Four-Eyes, and all of you."

Everyone turns to him, and he closes his eyes and mutters, "Dedicate your hearts."

Everyone widens their eyes, and Hange says, "Haha. That's the first time I've ever heard you say that."

Connie says, "Captain Levi... if you manage to meet Sasha again, please tell her to help me take care of my mother if I didn't make it back."

Levi stares at Connie and nods, "I'll do it."

Then everyone all jumps down from the flying boat as they land in front of the fort. Once they are all off, Onyankopon turns the airship around and brings Levi back to Paradis Island.

Here is a new chapter, and the next chapter will be the beginning of the unwinnable battle. I'm sure a lot of you already know the outcome, but I still hope you like this chapter.