Chapter Nine

The Piltover docks aren't usually an appealing place. Filled with workers and enforcers, hectic and yet so organised — that's a recipe for disaster so Jinx tries to steer away from the docks as much as she can.

Tonight is different, though. Tonight the docks are awash with colourful lights, with little mechanical fireflies illuminating the area further. (Jinx is proud to say she has participated in the creation of those.) People are laughing and walking all around, and the entirety of the place is filled with stalls, with various games and food attracting the attention of passers-by.

Vi and Caitlyn are walking elbow-in-elbow (bleh), Caitlyn in a long blue dress that accentuates her hair, and Vi in a suit that looks a bit too tight on the muscular girl. From time to time, the two exchange soft kisses, and every time Lux lets out an 'aww' while Jinx mimics putting a bullet through her temple.

Lux, though... Lux is wearing one of Caitlyn's dresses, a shorter one that reveals quite a bit of her long, slender legs, and of course it's white, pristine, angelic, much like the girl herself, who is enjoying the attractions with a wide smile and equally wide eyes. Clearly, Demacia does not have anything of the kind.

Jinx herself isn't a fucking poser, so she is dressed... all right, all right, Jinx did spend two hours in Vi and Caitlyn's bedroom, panicking and trying on different outfits to see what would fit. In the end, she decided on a slightly-belly-button-revealing medium-long crop top (yes that's a thing) and tight leggings which might be drawing some stares now but who cares, as long as Lux is the one that might also catch a glimpse of Jinx's butt.

Great, here's where talking to Vi and Cait got me. Into Lesbian Hornyland, that's where.

Vi and Caitlyn are truly infuriating.

The moment Vi sees one of those hit-me-hard machines, she goes all in and wins her girlfriend a giant plush Ursa bear, which is so bleh that Jinx can't just believe that someone would voluntarily—

"Aww, Jinx, can you win me something too?"

Then, both of Lux's hands are on Jinx's arm, taking her elbow-in-elbow, much like the two Kiramman lovebirds (they're gonna get married eventually, so she might as well call Vi a Kiramman) — and Jinx realises that 'someone' who would voluntarily do something so bleh is her, Jinx, because Lux is the most precious person in the universe, and for her, Jinx is ready to win the biggest damn toy ever.

So she snatches Vi's ice-cream (eliciting a "Hey, not cool, sis, not cool!" from her) and drags her angel friend towards the sharpshooting booth, where a few pathetic losers are trying to compete.

No, Jinx will not have it! She is here to win, for her gi— friend, her friend, Lux. Because they are friends. And nothing more.

Jinx shakes her head and slams money on the counter, eager to participate. However, her nose scrunches at the sight of the standard-issue rifle that she is offered, so instead she leans down to her leg and grabs her trusty gun from its secret holster.

"Using your own weaponry is strictly prohibited!" the old man in the booth (probably an ex-enforcer) complains, but straightens up in a salute, as soon as Caitlyn and Vi catch up with the two younger women. "Beg your pardon, Sheriff!"

"Wait a minute, Jinx, why would you bring a gun to a fair?" Vi asks, omitting the fact that Jinx isn't supposed to have a gun anymore, let alone carry it with her.

"What if some creep wanted to kiss Lux?" Jinx explains, and fuck that creep is me, because I want to kiss Lux, with her rosy cheeks, and how she's looking at me like I am her protector when she is more than capable of defending herself, I am so in love with her, what the fuck is up with me.

Then, to cover her embarrassment, she takes her gun and hits all the targets without aiming. Just because she is awesome like that. (And because of a life of crime, but that's not the point right now.) The point right now is getting Lux that giant Ursa plushie which, now that Jinx thinks about it, is just a re-coloured version of the toy Caitlyn is proudly carrying around.

"So, I'm leading in this competition or what?" Jinx announces loudly with a grin, watching the other competitors scramble at this ferocious display of marksmanship. "Get me that—"

"No so fast," Caitlyn's voice comes from the side as the woman thrusts the Ursa bear to her girlfriend and rolls up her sleeves as she takes up the rifle and motions for the host to set up the targets once again. "Let's give you some real competition."

Then, at the horror in Jinx's eyes (fuck Cait is a much better shot), the older woman whispers, "That's for violating the no-guns rule."

"Please," Jinx whispers back, casting a worried glance at her angel, who is standing aside innocently, eyes on the array of plushies that dominate the victory counter. "I need this. I really, really like Lux, and I really, really, really wanna win her that toy! Here. My gun. You can have it! Just please let me win!" With that, Jinx pushes her gun towards the enforcer.

Caitlyn does not reply, instead choosing to squint as she aims and starts hitting the targets. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine.

Fuck, I hit all of them, but not the bullseyes. If she hits one more—

And then, Caitlyn misses. With a huff, the woman puts down the standard-issue rifle and smiles disarmingly at Jinx (who sighs out in relief), Lux (who is smiling widely at her friend's victory) and Vi (who smirks knowingly). "All this paperwork has made me rusty. I suppose that means you have won, Jinx." Then, she picks up Jinx's gun and takes it.

Jinx gets the giant Ursa bear, which Lux rewards her for with a tiny squeal and a peck on the corner of her lips, which start burning immediately and keep burning as the angel clasps her hand in hers, entwining their fingers as the two friends (?) keep walking around the fair.

Cait gets a smaller toy for Vi, who is still overjoyed. Jinx doesn't expect anything in return from Lux, because Lux can't just go ahead and use her magic in the fair — but the radiant angelic girl still gets her some more ice-cream (and also gets Vi some ice-cream, as a refund for her friend's behaviour), which Jinx starts to lick and slurp with obscene noises that Lux reacts to with a thick blush as she hides her face in the plush toy.

All's good between friends. (?)

"Hey, Cait?" Jinx whispers, bumping shoulders with the Sheriff. "Thanks for letting me win."

"Anytime, Jinx." Caitlyn smiles and presses Vi's victory-present to her chest. "Anytime."