Chapter Six

All right, this breakfast is officially ultra awkward.

Like, on a scale from okay-ish (Jinx blew up an abandoned building, Vi and Cait weren't happy) to super awkward (the lovebirds forgot to close the door to their bedroom and Jinx stumbled in while wearing headphones and the sight of that still haunts her to this day) — this one is ultra awkward.

Lux has provided curt, polite replies that were enough to satisfy Cait's curiosity, but not enough to make Vi assured that this girl should be allowed to hang out with her sister. Vi, ever the overprotective one.

Usually Jinx would be pissed, but now she is kind of happy. Wait, what was that word? The H-word?

This is as domestic as it gets, the four of them at the breakfast table (which is also the dinner table and very rarely the lunch table, but Jinx digresses), enjoying their toast and eggs and those little sweet thingies that are kinda like muffins but not really, and Caitlyn makes like a dozen of them every week and Jinx eats every single one of them.

But this time she shares with Lux, and watches in awe how the girl, despite being royalty or whatever, bites into the simple treat with feverish hunger, leaving crumbs all around her lips.

Then, before she can think, Jinx reaches in and wipes the crumbs off the angel's lips with her thumb, causing both the object of her desires and herself to blush thickly as the two girls look away from each other.

Then, Caitlyn and Vi exchange a Look, and yeah, this is ultra-awkward. Fuck.

"So..." Vi begins with a wide grin, and before she can ask any dating-related questions (because Jinx and Lux cannot be dating because Lux is so perfect and Jinx is Jinx), Jinx suddenly looks at her wrist, as if she has a watch.

"Oh would you look at the time! It's shut up big sis a.m.!"

Caitlyn snickers behind a napkin, while Vi furrows her brows and says, "I was just about to ask if you had a good night's sleep, Lux."

Oh. Fuck, now I am the one making this awkward.

"Thank you, Vi, I did!" Lux exclaims and wipes her mouth with a napkin as well (not that she needs it after Jinx's thumb, but Jinx ain't the jealous type) with a wide smile. "Jinx has a very comfortable bed!"

Oh shit.

Vi's face breaks out in a big, wide grin, which is both good and bad; it's good because she no longer wants to murder Lux, and bad because fuck, her big sister thinks she's dating this angel, who is way too perfect for anything stupid, broken Jinx has to offer.

"I slept on the floor!" Jinx immediately provides, cursing herself for everything and cursing the universe for making it a day off so she can't use her excuse to just grab Lux and disappear to the Academy while ushering the two lovebirds to the enforcer station.

"Uhuh." Fuck, Vi should not be grinning this widely, it cannot be healthy.

"So what are you two gonna do today?" Caitlyn asks like the serious mature adult that she is. "Clearly you shouldn't hang around the city centre, because what if a Demacian sees you? My powers as sheriff only mean so much when international matters are at hand... May I suggest a quiet—"

But Jinx and Lux aren't listening. Having made eye contact, they seem to have been lost in each other's eyes, unable to break it. Well, at least that's what Jinx feels, like she drowned in those pools of blue and doesn't want to resurface.

"Wanna watch me blow up stuff?"

"Wanna watch me do magic?"

both blurt out at the same time. Then, still looking into each other's eyes, they giggle and nod enthusiastically while Cait and Vi exchange knowing looks.