𝐝 𝐨 𝐮 𝐳 𝐞.

𝐗𝐈𝐈

✮✮✮

𝟏𝐒𝐓 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕

  I woke up in a large room, the far walls lined with rows upon rows of books. Beside me was Diego and next to him, was Lila. In front of the three of us was a neat desk, and at it, sat a woman with pale gray hair and a purple uniform. She looked menacing but god, did she have good style.

  "Diego Hargreeves, Y/n Gussman...meet my mother." Lila began. They didn't appear to be related but I stayed silent, "Mother, this is Y/n, my best friend, and Diego...my boyfriend."

  "What?" Diego asked in shock, although I was confused. 'Pretty sure they slept together but whatever.'
  There was a moments silence before Lila's mom finally spoke.

  "Are you kidding me?" She asked, her voice monotonous.
  "You said I could hire my own team." Lila returned, her voice just as dull.
  "Yes, but I didn't mean them, for god's sake. Or rather him. If you don't see the problem with hiring you-know-who's brother, then you're not ready for that badge." She pointed to Lila, scolding her.
  "Look, I'm sorry to interrupt, but we really need to get going." Diego began, but was cut off by both Lila and her mom at the same time.
  "Shut up!"

  "I can't do this job if you don't trust my intincts."
  "Sweethearrt, your vagina needs glasses." the woman said, causing me to stiffle a laugh, "He is not worth it."
  "Mum! Oh my god..." Lila looked embarrassed as Diego glanced at her incredulously, "This may shock you, but not everyone here likes you."
  "Sounds ridiculous, but go on." She waved her hands dismissively.
  "You need fresh blood loyal to us and not the old regime. I've seen Diego in the field. He's so much better trained than most of the assholes here." Lila explained, "Why waste that when we can use it?"
  "He'll be my personal responsibility."
  Lila's mom leaned forward and took out a cigarette, glancing at Diego. He smiled warily.
  "What about the girl?"

  Lila glanced at me before looking back at the woman before us, "She wasn't supposed to be here, but she was with Diego."
  "So...what do you propose we do with her?" The woman grinned knowingly as Lila looked back at me. "Kill her off, perhaps?"
  "No!" Diego stood, slamming his hands on the desk in front of us. "You lay a finger on her, I'll kill you with my bare hands!"

  I smiled at his protectiveness, though there was a lump in my throat. I couldn't believe I'd actually thought Lila and I were friends.
  "Diego, sit down!" Lila hissed, pulling him back into his seat, "No, Mum, we're not killing her. I've seen her run from the cops-she's fast. And I bet she could learn to fight quickly."
  Diego gave me a confused look, as I smiled awkwardly at Lila's mom. She stared me up and down before replying. "Well...I suppose, with enough training, we could get you up to speed."