Epi 18 - Homefront

I was walking down the hall with Angela after we just got coffee when Nolan joined us. Earlier Bishop sent us a photo of Nolan's head covered in cactus spines and him holding papers from being served. The photo was captioned "his lowest point".

"Hey, I heard you're officially a cop now. You got hit with your first lawsuit." Angela said to Nolan.

Nolan followed behind us. "Oh, it's ridiculous. This guy says I dislocated his shoulder pushing past him in a pursuit. I don't think I even touched him. And now he wants $50,000 to settle." Nolan explained.

"Don't take it personally. Being sued is part of the job," I said to him.

"It's why we're required to have liability insurance," Angela added.

"Union assign a lawyer yet?" I asked as we continued down the hall to roll  call.

"Yeah, some guy named Simon Parks," Nolan answered.

"You're lucky. Guy's a legend." Angela smirked.

"Saved my ass a couple of times. He's a cranky old SOB but he gets the job done. You've got nothing to worry about." I replied as we turned the corner and filed into the conference room for roll call. Inside everyone gathefed in a group and was staring at the second level of offices.

"What's going on?" Nolan asked.

"IA arrested Jenkins," Bishop replied just as two IA officers were coming down the stairs with Jenkins cuffed between them.

"The robbery/homicide detective?" West asked.

"Yeah," I replied with a nod.

"Why?" Chen asked.

Grey entered the room then with Commander West with him. "Alright, grab a seat." He said, walking through the room to the back while Commander West took up post in front of the podium. It looked like we were about to find out. Everyone took their usual seats. "See, look, it's never a good day when one of your own gets arrested. I'm sure you have questions. Commander West from IA is here to answer. Commander," Grey announced, turning the attention over to him.

"Thank you, Sergeant," Commander West said to Grey then directed his attention to us. "After an extensive investigation we found clear evidence that ten years ago, Detective Jenkins lied on the witness stand. Because of his lies, an innocent woman was convicted of murder in the first degree."

"She's been in jail this whole time?" Chen asked concerned.

"Yes, Samantha Bennett. She was released two days ago. In addition to charging Jenkins with perjury, we've placed him on the Brady List." Commander West responded.

"Uh, what is the Brady List?" Nolan asked raising his hand like the boy scout he was.

"Uh, it's a record of law enforcement officers who've withheld exculpatory evidence." Rookie West answered. Still a know-it-all, even with his father in the room.

"It's a list of dirty cops." Bishop simplified.

"IA has reviewed all of Jenkins's past convictions. Of them, three others were deemed suspect enough to warrant the release of those felons." Commander West informed us.

"But you're not sure those three are innocent," I added.

"No, but their convictions were overturned." He confirmed.

"When this gets out every lawyer in town is gonna want to get a Jenkins conviction overturned," Angela added, probably because her new boyfriend was a defense lawyer.

"That's tomorrow's problem. Today, protocol dictates that we make voluntary contact with these released felons." Grey said, stopping in front of our table. "So Lopez and West, you'll talk to Samantha Bennett. Bradford, Chen, You got Max Kegel, who was doing 25 to life for drug trafficking. And Bishop and Nolan, take Terry Wright, who was in for armed robbery and attempted murder. If you observe anything actionable, send it up to major crimes." Grey instructed us, handing us rap sheets for each individual.