good morning

The light grew steadily outside until the curtains glowed just the same as the stained glass

The light grew steadily outside until the curtains glowed just the same as the stained glass. One of Zoey's eye's peaked open at the sounds of someone clattering around in her room. Yawning the girl rubbed both her eyes which felt glued shut with exhaustion and sleep dust making it nearly impossible for her to see anything. Rolling on her side, Zoey's cloudly vision landed on a small blurry figure with thick brown curls and a bright blue dress, reaching up to tamper with a few perfume bottles she'd unpacked onto the window seal. "Hello?" Her voice was dry and laced with fatigue.

"O hello," The little voice spun around to reveal an excited young girl, a grin much like John's though Zoey was far too tired to take in all her features just yet. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." She neared the end of the bed as Zoey pushed herself to sit up, yawning once more, "It's just you have such pretty things."

Usually, Zoey would be in a foul mood if someone had woken her up, but she couldn't stop her heart from melting at the little girl's kindness- even if she was snooping around her things while she was sleeping.

"That's alright," Zoey smiled warmly at the girl who was now fiddling with one of Zoey's Coco Chanel perfume bottles, "You must be John's daughter right?" She asked, swinging her legs over the bed to press her bare feet against the cold wooden floor, grimacing as the sudden rush of icy goosebumps spread across her skin.

"I'm Katie, I'm the oldest," she informed Zoey proudly, coming over to jump on her bed. "Who are you?"

"I'm Zoey," She outstretched her hand for the girl to shake. Which she did with much enthusiasm, liking the idea of being treated like an adult.

Before anything else to be said between them John came barging into the room, the sound of kids crying accompanying him as he did so. He looked quite the mess with one toddler covered in food clinging to his neck and the other tugging on his shirt for more attention, "Katie!" He barked, clearly overwhelmed and stressed by the morning routine, "What have I said about bloody snooping! Get out of here and help your sister!"

Huffing the girl hopped off the bed and went to hand Zoey back the perfume bottle.

"It's fine you keep it." She pushed the bottle back into her palm making the girl so happy, she flashed her the biggest smile you could possibly imagine it took up all her face.

"Katie, what do you say?" John gave his daughter a pointed look, trying to conceal the hearty smile he felt stirring as he watched the light-hearted scene unfold.

"Thank you, Zoey!" Pouncing onto Zoey, she was taken back a little by the girl giving her a tight hug seeing as she hardly ever received wanted physical contact. Skipping out of the room, dragging one of her brothers along with her John was left standing in the doorway, cradling his youngest son.

His eyes involuntarily lingered on the vision of Zoey first thing in the morning. Her silk nighty snuggly hanging from her waist, only reaching her mid thighs leaving him the opportunity to graze his eyes a little lower at the sight of her smooth bare legs.

As pleasant as it was for John to see her this way, once his eyes met hers he almost immediately felt awful for doing it. She looked uncomfortable, almost scared her eyes darting around the room to locate her robe.

Clearing his throat, he apologized looking away and closing the door to give her some privacy.

By the time John had dropped the kids off at school and came back. Zoey was already washed, pampered, and ready for the day, dressed in a beautiful crimson dress.

She had made herself at home, after cleaning John's kitchen for him she'd helped herself to a cup of coffee and began looking at some paperwork she'd taken with her.

"The kitchen's clean." He commented, surprised. Removing his hat and tossing it onto the table which was littered with heaps of files.

"You're welcome," she spoke absent-mindedly, her eyes cemented onto her notes while John pulled out the seat across her and shrugged off his coat hanging it over the back of his chair.

"Where's Benny?" He asked her after a moment's silence. He was trying to think of what to say to fill the void but Zoey was far too engrossed to even pick up on him still being there.

"He's asleep on the couch."

"The couc-" even though it was annoying to John that his couch would now smell like a dog, he tried his hardest not to flip at her. Zoey glanced up from her work, watching in amusement as John swallowed his rage and opted to light a cigarette instead.

"Problem?" She teased, a harmless smirk painting her lips.

"Nope." was all he could muster, sucking in the smoke with force.

"It's fine John, he's not actually on the couch he's in my room." She told him looking back down at her work. "I just wanted to see you sweat."

Exhaling the smoke, John couldn't stop the words from falling out of his mouth even if he wanted to "There are better things you could do if you wanted to see me sweat, sweetheart."

"How did I know you were gonna say that?" She sighed, rubbing the corner of her head where her migraine was beginning to form. "Do you want some coffee?" She offered, reaching to take a sip from her own brew.

"That sounds lovely." John smiled at her, leaning back in his chair.

"Get it yourself then." She responded before taking a sip and looking back down to the task at hand.