𝟏𝟏 | 𝐱𝐨

Start from the beginning

She sat there, pensive, trying to think of an answer, but it was clear that her thoughts were at odds with her heart. She eventually decided to give in and clambered out of the parked car, which stunned me.

"Let's get the food to go." Audrey stated, sounding upbeat as she walked ahead of me. "Your car seats are spacious enough to not drop greasy fries down through the nooks and crannies. I can't promise there won't be any fingerprints on your dashboard though."

I discreetly observed her place her order, eagerly requesting extra-large fries and an authentic Cola drink which had been barely iced because she didn't want it to be diluted.

Before I noticed she had wrapped it up and was giving me a stern look, I was almost amused by listening to her describe how much sauce should go on the burger patty.

"Aren't you getting anything?" She repeated herself.

"No, I'm not h—" I stopped myself. "I don't have an appetite anymore."

"Considering you were adamant we get something to eat, that's odd." She scoffed as I paid and followed after her. Then I burnt rubber and drove us away from the area, to a municipal park around the corner, parking by the gates.

"An aversion to chicken or...?" My voice trailed off.

"No," She said humoured. "I prefer fish. It's a refined taste. So if I see it as an option first, I'll happily have it."

Upon unboxing her burger and fries and arranging them on her lap, Audrey adopted a comfortable position by placing her legs crossed onto the dashboard and put her Coke in the centre console. I wrinkled my face in distaste at how it smelt and how much grease and fat it held.

She was as active and fit as she could be for her size, which startled me to think since she probably had clogged arteries if she regularly consumed this type of stuff. That wasn't my means of conveying that I had given a lot of time today to register her appearance and how I had genuinely studied her —soaking in everything from her slender frame to her distinctive facial attributes.

I wasn't allowed to think about her in that way.

It was wrong.

Unacceptable.

"I'll ask you again." She turned her head slightly away from the attention of her food and addressed me. "What brings you back? Give it to me straight, asshole. Look at me when I'm speaking to you."

"You're really fucking irritating. It's like you don't know when to or how to stop." I frowned, once again ignoring her question, but giving her the attention she evidently craved. "Get your feet off my dashboard. I mean it, Audrey."

"No." She responded. "If you ask me again, I'm giving your car a takeaway shower. You won't be able to get the smell out. Sweet ride by the way."

"Drop any fries and you're out." I rolled my shoulders, tension dissipating as I dropped my head back and let it lean against expensive leather. "Got it?"

"Sure." Audrey piped up impatiently, taking a moment to grab her drink and slurp loudly from the cup. "Who might be on the most wanted list?"

"You always ask loaded questions?" I couldn't help but groan. "Merde."

"All the time." She arched a brow. "Come on, you can tell me, frenchie."

"I can't." I pointedly said. "You need to understand that being a Federal Agent, means honouring every life around me. Telling you more than allowed, could potentially put you in danger. I clearly am trying to avoid that. Does the thought of being a victim excite you?"