Chapter Seven - Potions Class and an Epiphany

A.N. Here's another update! ^¬^ Also, me and my friend might be going on hiatus for a bit with this story, gomen. On the bright side, I'm probably going to upload an Enjolras/Grantaire one-shot, for people who know about les mis. Anyway, enjoy this next chapter!!

The sun shone brightly into Arthur's eyes, making the back of his eyelids turn a strange orange color. He blinked and sat up, checking his watch.

"Alfred, we gotta go. We gotta go right now! Bloody hell, class starts soon!" Arthur rapidly shook Alfred awake. "Alfred, wake up, we fell asleep, we have to run!" Arthur made sure he had all his things and slung his bag over his shoulder.

"Uhh—?!" Alfred blinked rapidly. He started up and wobbled dizzily but regained his balance. "What?"

"Let's see if your quidditch training is any good, yeah?" Arthur threw open the door and broke into a dead run. Alfred was soon close on his heels.

Laughing and running as fast as they could, the boys ran through the halls, passing people who were still half asleep. Hallway after hallway the boys ran and ran, legs pumping, breathing hard, hair flying. Alfred tripped and nearly fell on his face. Arthur's face was pink with laughter and exertion.

Finally they approached the room they both needed to be in at 7:00 sharp- potions class. Which just so happened to be on the exact opposite side of the school.

They burst in through the door at 7:02. Alfred knocked into Arthur and sent them both sprawling on the floor. Neither of them moved, they just laid there on top of each other, panting and trying to catch their breath.

"Oh, there you are." A cold voice said from above them.

Both boys looked up and gulped, seeing Snape looking down at them with an eyebrow raised. They got up quickly, brushing themselves off.

"Care to explain?" Snape's silky voice was quiet, and he waited for an explanation, his large, pointy nose raised in the air as if he were preparing for an impossible story.

"W-well, you see . . . we w-were, er . . ." Arthur stuttered, unable to come up with a good reason. They weren't supposed to be up at the tower after lights out, so he couldn't right out say that they'd been up there, and nothing else seemed as plausible.

"We woke up late," Alfred said lamely, an obviously weak excuse.

"Really, both of you?" The potions teacher sneered. Arthur and Alfred nodded. Snape breathed heavily through his nose, clearly not believing them but not wanting to waste any more time. "Very well, go sit down. Five points from Gryffindor, Mr. Jones," a few groans from the Gryffindor side of the room arose before Snape continued, "and Mr. Kirkland, as this is your first time being late, you're excused, but I expected more." Snape walked back to the front of the room, clearly done talking with them, and Alfred and Arthur looked at each other.

"It could've been worse," Arthur whispered as they sat down.

"It could have totally been better too!" Alfred hissed. "Snape hates me, I swear."

"Shush, that's nonsense. Pay attention." Arthur replied.

Snape loomed at the front of class. "Today," he said, "we will be making love potions. I hope you can handle it."

"This is why we had that homework, see?" Arthur muttered to Alfred. "Aren't you glad you did it?" Alfred nodded.

"You will all be provided with what you need to make the potion, but just have to make it properly. I'm sure most of you will fail. You have until the end of class." Snape glared across the room. "Go."