A slumber without dreams

"The human being fears two things: the change and the different"

A very tall man is standing in front of me. I carefully take a couple of steps backwards without taking my eyes off him. It's likely he's the tallest person I've ever seen. He might be the same height as my cottage. 

I don't speak, neither does he as we watch each other. While I'm stiff, the man is relaxed. He's gracefully standing there, a few feet away from me, in an elegant and loose pose. But the more I look at him, the more I realize that there is something different and disturbing about him. He has one head, two arms and two legs, however, everything -starting from his skin and body structure- is too perfect to be real. Too perfect to be human. 

The huge spaceship is making enough light to let me see him quite well. He resembles a human, he really does. But he is not one and I can't pinpoint what it is that gives me this solid idea. Is he the result of some experiment? His body is covered with thick clothes, however his face alone has - The man smirks. He stands there and just smirks. And now, now I see those inhuman and predatory fangs. 

"What are you" I ask as I grab ahold of my sword. I take deep breaths and focus on him. I know what to do. I know what to do - I repeat trying to convince myself. I've fought countless of times and the only person I've lost to was my grandfather. I've fought and I've killed. Just breathe.

"Finally I found a clever one. You made my day little boy, what's your name" his smile gets sharper and scarier while his eyes seem even paler now that he has spoken. But, it's his voice that makes me tighten my hold on the sword. He sings as he talks.

"Why should I tell you since you first didn't answer me" I exclaim as I make my voice sound deeper. I don't know who he is, nor does it seem that he is good-intended. Is he looking for other lab rats or to recruit someone for sex trafficking? The stranger has to keep thinking that I'm a male, nothing good will come if I reveal all my cards now. Especially because I don't understand why he is here in the middle of nowhere.

"You are P material at least. It's unfortunate you're a boy... Let's go now, little one" as the words leave his crimson red lips I notice how bare of interest and emotion they are. Despite his cheerful and unsetting expression, his intonation is tired and apathetic. Well, it's not me who forced him to do all this. He starts walking towards me. 

You're never too cautious - the mantra starts playing in my headYou're never too cautious, I repeat as I draw the sword out of the sheath. My mind is empty, free of every thought except for the hypnotic chant. Time slows down and I take one last breath. One last breath before I stop breathing. No sound comes form me as I charge, my feet seem flying and I, too don't feel the ground under me.

"Bad choice human boy" he sighs before an intense red light colors his white face. Both of his hands hold a long and thin laser blade. Lasers can cut everything, even my so-called unbreakable sword. 

From behind replaces the mantra and becomes the only thought screaming in my mind. From behind - I agree mechanically. The human-like creature is still standing tall on his legs, he isn't serious about this duel. Everyone who doesn't know my name isn't worried at all till it's too late. They don't see me as a treat. He doesn't see me as a treat, better for me. 

I know I look so skinny that I might not be able to walk, let alone fight someone who is almost twice my size. But this is what a life of hard training rewards me with: a chance to survive. 

I'm one foot away from him, near enough to scrape flesh if I swing, but I continue running. And then I see it. I see the laser coming for my neck. I even feel it cutting off my head. I take a step back ceasing my hopeless run. My eyes open wide and my lips part, I stay there unmoving for what feels like eternity. In reality, not more than a couple of seconds had passed since I began my attack.