Chapter 10

Nate

"Dad, call a hearing. We need to have a trial for the punishment of the beta of the pack," I said as soon as I entered my father's office.

Normally, my father would never have accepted behavior like me entering his office and abruptly giving instructions, but he must have sensed my agitation as he looked up from his papers to eye me. So he just asked, "Why?"

From the hard glint in his eyes, I knew that if I couldn't reasonably explain walking into his office impolitely, he would make me regret it.

"For abusing his daughter right under our noses since she was 13."

Immediately, he took a sharp breath from shock, and his brows furrowed as he stood up, asking anxiously, "What? Are you sure about this? Doug has been abusing Janice's daughter?"

"Yes! Dad, I'm sure. Ginny probably won't confirm it, but Thomas Quinn from the Supernatural Council would."

"Alright, I'll set up the council on your request and call all the pack members to the trial clearing. Take a few enforcers and meet me at the trial clearing with the suspect in thirty minutes."

He turned to stare at me. "But Nathan, if you've got this wrong, it will count against you when the pack council wants to decide if you're eligible to be Alpha of the pack or not."

I froze for a minute, then nodded, "I'm sure, dad."

I did as he said, and when we got to Ginny's house, I was the one who knocked on the door.

It was about 4 in the afternoon, and I knew that Beta Doug was home since today was his day off.

"Who's there?" He called out just before he opened the door.

When he opened the door and peered out, I tried to reconcile the image I'd once had of him as the pack beta to the pedophile and rapist I now knew him to be. But I couldn't because Beta Doug just looked like a regular werewolf. If I didn't eavesdrop on Thomas forcing Imogen to tell the truth, I would have refused to believe it if someone accused him of being a rapist.

He came out of the door, standing just an inch taller than me. Looking at his body ripped with muscles, I realized that whether as a 13-year-old or as the young adult she was now, Ginny had never stood a chance against him.

"What's up, guys? What's wrong? Wait...did Ginny do something wrong again? I swear that girl will hear it from me when..."

"You're under arrest and on trial for the rape and abuse of Imogen, Beta Doug," I said coldly.

Then I moved away to let the enforcers, three of them, grab Beta Doug and handcuff his hands because I knew that if I were to touch him, I'd just end up pummeling him to a bloody pulp.

* * *

When Ginny got on the witness stand and started exposing her secrets, my jaw hit the floor and stayed there as I heard what she had experienced all these years not just at the hands of Beta Doug but also at the hands of other members of the pack.

It took a lot of effort to compose myself as I watched Ginny leave the witness stand, heading straight to the audience seats at the very edge of our trial meeting place where Thomas was seated. Hesitant to see the two of them hold hands publicly, I turned to stare at the pack council, which was made of the oldest and most powerful members of the pack and my father.

The council spent about 10 minutes deliberating the best punishment for Beta Doug. During that time, I kept alternating between staring at Ginny where she sat beside Thomas with her hands in his, and at the pack council members where one of Beta Doug's friends in the council seemed to be trying to argue for him.