Chapter Forty: "It's A Duck".

Start from the beginning

"And we can ride the boogie..."

"Share that beat of loooveeee!"

I was very close to laughing aloud when she did jazz hands.
Then she whipped her head to look at me while pointing her finger in what she probably thought was a good MJ impression and I knew I'd have a hard time holding back a laugh.

I wanna rock with you (all night).
Dance you into day (sunlight)
I wanna rock with you
I wanna dance the night away....

The part of me that was still holding on to some anxiety about the night ahead of us melted away, Violet's enthusiasm was... infectious. Even though it had ebbed away a bit (probably because she didn't know the rest of the lyrics), she was still moving to the music, eyes shut as she snapped her fingers.

Out on the floor,
There ain't nobody there but us...

Now I realized I didn't have to worry too much about boring her, especially when she was liveliness itself tonight.

I glanced at her just as she opened her eyes and smiled a bit shyly back at me, doing a little shimmy move with her shoulders that I found absolutely adorable.

Girl, when you dance,
There's a magic that must be love

"The chorus's the best part, get ready." She nudged me in excitement.

Just take it slow,
We've got so far to go.

And her arms were swinging (in a sort of mad dance, which I didn't mind as long as my face was safe.)
"When you feel that heat! Whoo!"

"And we go'n ride the boogie!
Share that beat of loooveeee!!"
I'd managed to surprise myself by carrying my voice till it matched her volume and she wiggled her eyebrows at me while I just rolled my eyes at her antics.

Well, I couldn't stop now.
"I wanna rock with you, all night
Dance you into day (sunlight)
I wanna rock with you, all night
I wanna dance the night away..."

I must have done something good, because she literally squealed and flung herself at me just to place a big, noisy kiss on my cheek.

"You're crazy, I'm going to hit a tree." I said, her kind of elated laughter creeping into my voice, but my hand was up somewhere between her lustrous curls of hair and the curve of her neck.

"Crazy awesome!" She said and squirmed away when I tickled her. She was so soft.

And when the groove is dead and gone...

"Crazy awesome" I agreed.

You know that love survives
So we can rock forever...

"Wait..." Violet narrowed her eyes and leaned forward to look through the windshield. "We're going uphill."

"We are. Starting to look familiar?" I asked as I eased the car through a well used path between trees and thorny bushes.

"I know this place, um... One second it's just at the edge of my mind." She said, looking out the window. Then she spotted the white signboard.
"Yes, Century Hill!" She exclaimed. "Everyone used to come here as kids to play after school, hey look at that one tree we used to climb, it belonged to that-"

I felt a smirk pull my lips when she paused. Here we go.

"Wait a minute..." Violet said, looking at me. "Century Hill? Doesn't it belong to that mean old man who lives in that little run down house on the top?"

"His name is Mr. Thomas." I put in.

"He used to catch and beat any kid he could! Didn't want us touching his precious wasteland! That's what we used to call his yard because it always looked dead." She said, and when a branch smacked against the window, she shifted closer to me. "He also had two big guard dogs to stop us from coming at all, why are we here?"