Part 108: The reasons why we do

Magsimula sa umpisa

Lily bit her lip momentarily. "I know that I love him. That's not what I'm questioning. But . . . is it enough?" Or are we just growing apart and becoming too different? Or is what he wants something that I just can't accept? Or can he not accept how I'm changing?"

Hugo grabbed both of her arms. "Lily, you are just stressing yourself out on this whole thing. You just need to take some time, relax, let yourself calm down, and you will see that things are not as bad as your stressed out little mind is making them out to be. Ok?"

There was a knock at the front door, so Lucy passed Colin off to Hugo and made her way to the door. Hugo awkwardly tried to adjust the baby's position in his arms. Lily just took a deep breath and tried to do as Hugo said. Relax and calm down. But with her heart aching every moment, and her mind spinning in terrifying circles, it wasn't easy.

"Oh, Aunt Ginny, what are you doing here?" Lucy asked when she opened the door, catching the attention of both Lily and Hugo.

Ginny smiled as she walked in. "Well Hermione mentioned that both our kids were coming here today, and I needed to talk with my daughter."

"What's up, Mum?" Lily asked as Ginny took a seat next to Hugo, smiling even softer at Colin.

"Well, I wanted to tell you that we're going to have a little family dinner on the second. To celebrate James getting back on his feet, and of course the mending of your relationship with him. Can you be there by six? In case I need a little help?" Ginny asked.

Lily sighed. She honestly was not in the mood for a happy family moment. Not with the way her life was going at this precise moment. But she still nodded. "Sure, Mum. Six o'clock on the second. I'll be there."

"Good. Now, there's something I want to talk with you about privately. Is there a place we can do that, Lucy?" Ginny asked, looking toward her niece.

Lucy looked a little surprised. "Oh. Well, I was about ready to put Colin down for a nap, so Hugo can come help me, and you two can just talk here," she offered.

Ginny smiled as Hugo got up to follow Lucy down the hall. "Thank you, dear. This will only take a minute." But once she heard the closing of a door, her cheery smile fell a bit, and she gave her daughter a look of sympathy. "What happened between you and Scorpius to make Ron question on whether or not you two are getting married?"

Lily tried not to smack her head against the coffee table. Uncle Ron and his big mouth! And had Scorpius really said something like that to him? It made that hurt and fear squeeze Lily's heart even harder. "We had a fight is all," she mumbled.

"From what I hear, he's been staying at his sister's house for days now," Ginny stated.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Why don't you tell me everything he told Uncle Ron, then I'll fill in the blanks?" she snapped dryly.

Ginny gave a small sigh. "I'm not trying to poke at fresh wounds, sweetheart. But something is very obviously wrong if the two of you are questioning why you're getting married."

"Mum," Lily paused and sighed. How could she try to explain what was wrong when she herself hardly knew? She still had a hundred questions that she was asking herself, each with no answer. And she knew they weren't anything that her mother could answer. "Look, Mum, . . . we just need to spend a little time apart, ok? We'll be fine, really. Just keep planning wedding, and don't worry about us."

Lily wished that she believed that herself.

While winter was coming toward its end, and spring would soon arrive, that fact did nothing change the bitter cold in the air. Even if the snow had already disappeared, the chilly wind was there to remind you of the season, and made you wish you were warm and indoors.