Part 57: Cracks in family foundation

Lily tugged at the frilled lace hem of her skirt. Despite the cold air and snow outside, Lily had chosen to wear a green v-neck shirt with mid-length sleeves, a black rose clip pulling her hair back, her Slytherin pendant, her and Scorpius's rings, her Liz Canvas shoes, she had put her hair in the slight curls that Scorpius was fond of, and wore a black and short skirt. Well, Lily didn't think it was short, but Scorpius had almost thrown a fit at the sight of it. As he said, "That skirt is too damn short for you to wear around anyone but me." Lily had simply rolled her eyes.

"Hey, Lil," Christian spoke from his seat by the train window, "who's patrolling the train after Scor and Lana?"

"Not us," Lily assured. She glanced at her cousin, who was lip locking with her best friend. "I think it's Hugo and Stacy Finnigan."

"Awesome," Christian sighed. "I think Scor and Lana should be done soon. I might go and find Jace, Hunter, and Monty. We're going to talk about getting together for a Quidditch game over break."

Lily sighed as she looked around the compartment. It was her, Hugo, Lola, Christian, Shannon, and Xavier. Jace, of course, refused to sit near Lola. Lily had been talking with Christian and Shannon for the majority of the ride to King's Cross. Lola and Hugo had rarely parted for air, and Xavier was out like a light. He'd looked tired all morning, and Christian mentioned something about Xavier apparently not sleeping much.

"So, what's up with Xavier?" Lily asked, although she had asked before.

"I'm not sure. He told us guys that he wasn't sleeping well lately. Never said why," Christian explained.

"You think something's wrong?" Shannon asked with a bit of worry.

"Nah, I'm sure he's fine," Christian assured.

"Who's fine?" Scorpius asked as he stepped into the compartment.

"The sleeping dragon over there," Christian said, nodding toward Xavier's sleeping form.

Scorpius looked at the sleeping teen, then shrugged. "Yeah, he's fine." Then he moved to smack the back of Hugo's head, knocking his hat out of place.

Hugo pulled away from Lola. "Dude, dick!" he chuckled, looking up at the older guy.

Scorpius smirked. "Finnigan's waiting for ya. You two have to patrol now." Then he took Lily's wrist, and pulled her up from her seat. "And you're coming with me for a moment. Excuse me while I steal her," Scorpius said, and gently pulled Lily out of the compartment.

Lily smiled, and let him pull her down the train, until he finally stopped in front of a different compartment door. But when he opened this one, it was empty. He closed the door behind them, and pulled the small curtain down over the glass, making sure no one could see in.

Lily looked at him with a raised brow as she sat down. "What are we doing in here?"

Scorpius smirked as he dropped down next to her. "First of all, how about the twenty-third for our date?" he asked.

Lily shrugged. "That sounds fine to me."

Scorpius nodded. "Good. I also have an invitation to give you. I wasn't sure about it at first, but then my mum threatened me through a letter."

Lily giggled at the thought of Astoria yelling at her son through words and paper. "And what is the invitation to?"

"Well, it's understandable if you have things happening on Christmas night. After all, time of family and all that crap. But, my mum and dad want me to invite you to come over to our annual Christmas dinner this year," Scorpius told her. "So, what do you say?"