Chapitre 8: contract

Thursday, January 20, 8 a.m., London, England.

- So? asked Giuliana, spreading jam on a slice of bread.

- What do you mean? I asked.

- Don't play innocent, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I know exactly what she's talking about.

- And you, Finn? I asked to change the subject.

- Oh believe me, he's not as nice as you think!

Here's a detail I wouldn't have felt sorry for not knowing.

- Well... I said, gulping down a cup of coffee.

Thomas and Finn arrived a second later.

- Hi Valentina. Finn said, sitting down next to Giuliana.

- Hi Finn!I answered, trying to ignore what Giuliana had just said to me.

The silence hovered. Finn and Giuliana kept looking at us, then at each other, alternating various grimaces and nods. And now, it was Thomas and myself who were exchanging looks of bewilderment at their behavior.

Suddenly, Giuliana opened her eyes and smiled with all her teeth. She knew.

- Miss Luciano, there's someone on the phone for you. A butler said to me, finally breaking the silence.

I got up and went to a room adjacent to the reception room.

- Valentina, it's Dad. I just wanted to let you know that I'll be there at eleven.

- Where exactly are you arriving? I asked, surprised.

- In Birmingham, of course. Your uncle Giuseppe told me that the deal was done and that all that was missing was the drafting of the contract. And you know that you can't finalize a contract involving the company without me. So, I'm coming and I have a surprise for you!

Shit.

- that's great! I can't wait to see you, I'll be at the station at eleven. I say, trying desperately to sound enthusiastic.

- Me too! See you later, darling. He answered before hanging up.

I returned to the reception room.

- So? Giuliana asked as soon as I was seated.

- It was my father. He's arriving in Birmingham in three hours, he's coming to draw up the contract. I said, drinking my umpteenth cup of coffee in one go.

- Well, one o'clock, in my office. We'll finalize the clauses of a contract.

- Unfortunately, that's not how it works. You will meet him, when he decides, where he wants. Say Giuliana.

Thomas looked at me as if to ask for confirmation of my friend's words. I simply nodded.

- It doesn't matter! said Thomas.

Thursday, January 20, 10:50 a.m., Birmingham Station, England.

- I still don't understand what you're doing here.

- I have to welcome my partner. Isn't that something natural? he said.

I was about to answer, but my father's arrival cut short the discussion.

- cariño!my father said, giving me a hug.

- Hello, Dad. You already know Mr. Shelby.

- Yes, I do, Mr. Shelby. replied my father, shaking Thomas' hand.

- Valentina, this is Dimitri Chaikhlislamova, Duke of St. Bettembourg. My father said, pointing to a young man standing beside him.

He kissed my hand in the most polite way.

- Your father did not stop praising the beauty of his daughter. He was well below the truth.

  Expressed me Dimitri.

- I thank you. I answered, flattered.

I could feel an insistent look in my back during the whole discussion.So this was the surprise Dad was talking about!

Thursday, January 20, 11:45 a.m., Birmingham, England.

- So that's what it's all about. said my father, referring to Birmingham.

- And yes! I exclaimed.

- And do you know a place where we can have a drink?

- Yes, and we're just around the corner! I said, heading for the Garrison.

As we entered, everyone fell silent and stared at my father. Now that's what I call an entrance.

- Dad, this is; Arthur you already know, John and Finn Shelby. Gentlemen, I would like you to meet my father. I say.

- Gentlemen. Say my father before ordering a whiskey.

They greeted my father politely.

- So, may I ask where the bloody hell Thomas Shelby is? my father asked of the three men I had introduced to him a few moments earlier.

- He should be here any minute, sir. Finn replied.

- Good.

Indeed, Thomas entered the pub a few minutes later.

To be continued...