Lynx and Winter's Eggs

Lynx and Winter were together preparing their room in the Ice Palace for the coming delivery of their eggs. Lynx had told Winter that she felt her eggs were coming today, and Winter could help but be anxious.

Winter looked over at Lynx. He remembered how he had just happened to visit his friends Qibli and Moon the day that Moon laid. He remembered how much Moon had suffered. Obviously, it was like that for all dragons. But now it was going to be over his eggs. Wasn't Lynx nervous? She was going to be the one experiencing it all.

"You know you're going to be writhing and screaming, and cursing the day you hatched and you're still excited?" Winter asked.

"Why not," Lynx asked.

"You know what you're going to feel, and you're still excited?"

"Well, I guess I can't say I know what I'm going to feel exactly, I suppose I wouldn't be excited at all if I did. But I might as well be excited while I can be, because once I'm started, it'll be too late, and I'll be, as you say, writhing and screaming, and cursing the day I hatched, and wondering how in the world I could have any idea right now of what I'd be going through, and still be so ignorant. Weird how I know I'm going to be cursing myself for how happy I am about it, yet I'm still so happy about it anyway."

"Yes," sighed Winter, "It is weird."

"Three Moons, I'm going to hate this," Lynx said, breathing deeply, they were in the room later, preparing for the labor that could begin any minute. "Do you really think it could hurt so much that it could make me regret my existence?"

And suddenly, her face contorted in pain. "Oh yes, it does, it does, IT DOES! AHHHHHHHHHHH-OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" Lynx started to scream as she collapsed to the floor. She tried to claw her way forward as if attempting to escape from an invisible force, but there was no escape from her own body, and it dragged her back down to the floor screaming and writhing. "MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!"

Unfortunately, Winter knew from Moon's case that that wasn't going to happen. If Moon, and any other dragon for that matter, cried out with the same desperation as Lynx, and they were never relieved, the same was not going to happen for Lynx. She was going to have to lay there suffering until it was over, no matter how much she couldn't take it.

"Don't worry, you'll get through this," Winter encouraged. He knew it was a weak sentiment given the circumstances, but it was all he had to offer.

"NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Lynx screamed. "I DON'T WANT TO GET THROUGH THIS! I WANT IT TO STOP! OWWW! OKAY! OKAY! I GIVE IN! I HATE MY LIFE! I WISH I WAS NEVER HAATCHED!"

"And you were so looking forward to this earlier too," Winter said. He felt bad that Lynx, how quickly she had turned around from earlier.

"WELL STUPID EARLIER SELF FOR BEING SO IGNORANT!" Lynx wailed, "SHE HAD NO IDEA HOW BAD THIS WOULD FEEL! MAKE IT STOP! JUST MAKE IT STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!" She trailed off in a shriek. Tears rolled down her face at the agony of it all, the unfathomable raw feeling as if her body was being ripped to shreds. There was no way to bear this feeling inside.

"Your past self knew you'd feel that way." Winter sighed.

Lynx snapped. "STUPID PAST SELF FOR ALWAYS BEING SO FAR AHEAD OF MYSELF! WHY DID SHE HAVE TO THINK OF THIS AS SO POSITIVE?! OWWWWWWWWW! I WISH HER ALL THE AGONY I'M GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW!"

Winter couldn't resist, "Every wondered if that is why you're going through what you're going through right now?" Winter hated himself. Too much time around that annoying SandWing Qibli. Lynx was in a lot of pain, and this was probably not the time for humor, no matter how well timed it was.

"I'LL MURDER YOU FOR THAT WHEN I'M HAPPY ENOUGH TO THINK OF SUCH THINGS AGAIN!" Lynx screamed. Murder obviously wasn't priority right now.

Lynx wailed "I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my LIFE! OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! WHY WAS I BORN!!!!!! WHY WAS I SO GLAD ABOUT THIS! WHY DID I EVER EXIST! OWWWWWWWWWWW! HELP ME! HELP ME! JUST MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP- OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I HATE YOU, MYSELF! OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! OW! OW! OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

As Winter watched Lynx, her face wet with tears, he couldn't help but have his heart feel with pity. This was obviously too much for her. As it had also been for Moon. He could only imagine what they must be experiencing. Ice talons penetrating their abdomen? Any kind of torment that could raise this sort of reaction each and every time was obviously too intense for just any dragon to endure. So why were they expected to go through this while other dragons like Winter could do nothing but watch helpless from the sidelines?

Eventually, Lynx ran out of reasons to hate her past self, and just remained there moaning and screaming, enduring pain that no dragon should have to bear, without relief.

A little while later, Queen Snowfall came to check in, having heard the commotion.

"Is she okay?" Snowfall asked.

Winter didn't no how to respond. "Yes, she just laying her eggs."

"YES?" Wailed Lynx, "NO I'M NOT! MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP-!" More screaming.

So Snowfall left, obviously perturbed over the idea of the need to lay down her own descendants for the throne. She was glad she wasn't wearing the Gift of Vision right now, she did not want to know what Lynx must be going through to be brought down like this. But she feared that eventually she'd be experiencing the same thing herself, and there was no real escape.

Yippee. Snowfall thought, just what any Queen needs, indescribable, inescapable pain.

Back in the room, Lynx continued to suffer as she laid her eggs. 1, 2, 3...

The pain was unbearable. Lynx rued every day she felt excited for the eggs to coming, knowing full well she had expected unbearable pain, but still looking past it anyway. It was one thing to expect unimaginable agony painful enough to make you loose it, and it was another to actually experience it. What Lynx hated the most was that she had known she would react like this, yet she STILL LOOKED PAST IT! There was no looking past this pain, and she couldn't TAKE IT!

But take it she did. 4. Okay, that was enough, JUST MAKE THE SUFFERING STOP!

But it didn't not once bit. Lynx writhed and screamed, unable to do anything but. Pain after pain after pain. It never stopped.

But finally, it did. After the 5th egg, there were no more.

Winter curled up beside her and twined his tail around hers as she finally began to relax, her labored gasps slowing down to gentle breaths.

"You're done. You're alright."

Lynx looked up at him. "That was awful," she moaned.

"I know," Winter said, "But it's over now."

Lynx looked at the eggs next to them. "I acted pretty stupid, didn't I?"

"What? No. You did alright considering the circumstances." Winter assured her.

"But I knew full well to expect the worst, and I still lost it anyway." Lynx observed, "I knew I had set myself up for this and I still reacted the way I did."

"If anything," Winter replied carefully, processing his thoughts, "It's the process that is stupid. Half the dragons of Pyrrhia should not have to go through that to ensure there are dragonets for the next generation."

"But they are beautiful dragonets, aren't they," Lynx replied, looking at the eggs.

Winter followed her gaze, and for the first time really processed the eggs before them, the dragonets inside that were as much his as they were Lynx's. His heart suddenly filled with affection that he had never felt when he had seen Moon and Qibli's eggs. These were his babies. His and Lynx's, and he loved them, even before they hatched.

Winter looked up at Lynx. "Yes. Yes, they are."