Chapter 22

Ellie's P.O.V

It's been 10 days. 10 days of no sleep, a crying baby, dirty nappies and 10 days since me and Kai had one of our first deep meaningful conversations. A lot has changed between me and Kai in the last few days,

Lucas and Oscar took on more of Kai's responsibilities so that he could spend more time with me and Freya, and by that I mean help me get the demon child to stop crying. We've tried everything; singing to her, rocking her in our arms, feeding and burping her, taking her a walk, went on a drive and we've took her to three, yes THREE doctors and they all say the same thing - there's nothing wrong with her. She just likes to cry, mainly at nights so that we get no sleep.

Don't get me wrong I love and cherish her with all my heart but I miss sleep, I haven't had a full nights sleep in ten days. I'd say I've had about 3 hours sleep every night from I've gave birth. Now Freya doesn't cry the whole time, half the time is me spent worrying about her sleeping and worrying if she's okay in her cot, the other half is her crying and trying to get her back to sleep.

Even though it's only been 10 days since Freya came into the world, I know she's already changed my life for the greater good. Everything has just been better since she was born. Yes that may be very hypocritical of me as her mother but she's just perfect, apart from the crying at night and keeping me and Kai awake until all hours of the morning.

Her being here has really brought me and Kai closer than ever. I still sometimes have my doubts about bringing a child into this world- especially with what her father does for a living. But then I see Kai with her and all them thoughts immediately leave my mind. He is amazing with her! Almost better than I am. He sings to her and it's the most extraordinary, unbelievable sight for a mafia boss but honestly it just warms my heart.

*Flashback*

I just made me and Kai a cup of coffee with a plate of toast each after realising that we both haven't ate anything all day. It's currently 3pm and we are both exhausted after being up all night with Freya. Just as I'm walking into our room I hear Kai talking- he's talking really weirdly

As I open the door the sight in front of me
makes my eyebrows raise and almost makes me drop the tray I'm holding with our food and drinks. Never did I ever think that I'd find Kai rocking a baby in his arms and singing her lullabies whilst looking at her as if she's the most amazing thing in the world.

As he stares lovingly down at our daughter my heart hurts with all these emotions all at once and thoughts race in my mind. Tears of joy spring in my eyes. The first and foremost of them all is how strange it is seeing Kai of all people as a father. You wouldn't even recognise this man if you were to look at him.

Guilt eats me up inside at how I almost took the opportunity for him to be a father away and tears swell in my eyes for a completely different reason now. I can't believe how utter selfish and cruel I was. Honestly who was I to even make that decision and take his rights away from him! He's showed me how wrong I was this past week with how amazing he's handled fatherhood so far. Don't get me wrong we both aren't experts and we are figuring new things out everyday, but we are figuring them out and doing this together.

I can't help but think how awful I was to run away with his unborn child and try and act like he was the villain. I know I wasn't thinking straight and all I could think of was my child being hurt and caught in the middle of all the mafia bullshit. I didn't even ask of raise any concerns with him, I just bolted. Now watching him rock Freya back and forth in his arms I've never been so happy to have been wrong before in my life.

Kai looks up and smiles at me before seeing the tray in my hands and ushering me over. I laugh at how he shoves a slice of toast into his mouth like a starved dog. He swallows it down with a big gulp of coffee and then kisses my forehead and continues to sing Twinkle Twinkle whilst sipping his coffee and holding me in one arm cuddling into his side, and Freya in his other arm swaying back and forth steadily to keep her from crying.