Chapter III - Year I - Yay! Abandonment! Awesome!

≪ ☽ ≫ ──── ≪• ✾ •≫ ──── ≪ ☾ ≫

Quinn woke up the next morning to Florian pecking her in the face.

"Ugh - what - Florian!" She got up, excited for her first day at Hogwarts, but her mood instantly dropped when she remembered that she was in Slytherin. Quinn looked at the clock on my desk. 6:30. She took her uniform out of the chest of drawers and dragged herself over to the bathroom to get changed.

Her first day at Hogwarts. She was a Slytherin. She existed. Quinn listed all the reasons she was feeling worthless as she looked at herself wearing Slytherin robes in disgust. She needed to talk to Harry.

At breakfast, Quinn couldn't eat. She was given a timetable for the day and heard Ron being shouted at by Mrs Weasley? before the bell rang, indicating that breakfast was over. She saw Harry walking away, presumably to his classes.

"Harry! HARRY!" She shouted, running up to him. Harry stopped walking and turned around when he heard her, but once he saw that it was Quinn he swiftly turned around and began walking even faster? Hermione gave her a sorry glance and Ron just avoided her eyes looking angry? And both followed Harry. 

"Harry..?" Quinn stopped in my tracks, furrowing her brows in confusion.

People around her were watched intently, one whispering,

"Well of course he wants nothing to do with her, she's a Slytherin. If my sister was a snake, I would never talk to her again." Was that why he was ignoring her? He surely knew that Quinn didn't want to be in Slytherin either?

Upset and confused, she turned on my heels and walked to my first lesson, potions.

Potions lessons took place down in one of the dungeons. It was colder here than up in the main castle and would have been quite creepy enough without the pickled animals floating in glass jars all around the walls. Quinn had it with Gryffindors, which gave her a chance to see more of Lyra Malfoy.

Professor Snape decided to start the lesson with a speech.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion- making. As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses ... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death – if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach. Now, I will take a register. When I call out your name reply with a simple 'here'." A couple of minutes later, he called out Quinn's name.

"Quinn.. Potter..." he sounded almost unsure when he said my name.

"Here."

He looked up from the register and he froze, his eyes widening slightly when he saw her. He soon recomposed himself, however, and said,

"Potter, what potion contains flobberworm mucus, horklump juice and lionfish spines?"

She raised an eyebrow. Why was he asking me such simple questions like he expected me to get it wrong?

"Flobberworm mucus, horklump juice and lionfish spines are the ingredients used in the herbicide potion, a potion with an emerald-green hue which is used to kill or damage plants."

"What three ingredients are used to brew a calming draught?" Oh, good. Now he was actually asking difficult questions.

"Lavender, peppermint oil and crocodile heart."