Prologue - Part V - Goodbyes and School Supplies

≪ ☽ ≫ ──── ≪• ✾ •≫ ──── ≪ ☾ ≫

TW: Mentions of abuse

≪ ☽ ≫ ──── ≪• ✾ •≫ ──── ≪ ☾ ≫

Quinn woke up to Harry shaking her.

"Wh-what? Where am I?" she asked sleepily.

Suddenly it all came back to her. Witch. She was a witch!

"Best be off, Harry, lots ter do today, gotta get up ter London an' buy all yer stuff fer school. Do ye wanna come with?" Hagrid asked Quinn.

She violently nodded her head.

"Yes!"

Harry was turning over the wizard coins and looking at them.

"Um — Hagrid?" he asked.

"Mm?" said Hagrid, who was pulling on his huge boots.

"I haven't got any money — and you heard Uncle Vernon last night...he won't pay for me to go and learn magic."

"Don't worry about that," said Hagrid, standing up and scratching his head. "D'yeh think yer parents didn't leave yeh anything?"

"But if their house was destroyed —"

"They didn' keep their gold in the house, boy! Nah, first stop fer us is Gringotts. Wizards' bank. Have a sausage, they're not bad cold — an' I wouldn' say no teh a bit o' yer birthday cake, neither."

"Wizards have banks?"

"Just the one. Gringotts. Run by goblins."

Quinn dropped the bit of sausage she was holding.

"Goblins?"

"Yeah — so yeh'd be mad ter try an' rob it, I'll tell yeh that. Never mess with goblins, you two. Gringotts is the safest place in the world fer anything yeh want ter keep safe — 'cept maybe Hogwarts. As a matter o' fact, I gotta visit Gringotts anyway. Fer Dumbledore. Hogwarts business." Hagrid drew himself up proudly. "He usually gets me ter do important stuff fer him. Fetchin' you — gettin' things from Gringotts — knows he can trust me, see."

"Got everythin'? Come on, then."

They followed Hagrid out onto the rock. The sky was quite clear now and the sea gleamed in the sunlight. The boat Uncle Vernon had hired was still there, with a lot of water in the bottom after the storm.

"How did you get here?" Quinn asked, looking around for another boat.

"Flew," said Hagrid.

"Flew?"

"Yeah — but we'll go back in this. Not s'pposed ter use magic now I've got yeh."

They settled down in the boat. Quinn was still staring at Hagrid, trying to imagine him flying.

"Seems a shame ter row, though," said Hagrid, giving them another of his sideways looks. "If I was ter — er — speed things up a bit, would yeh mind not mentionin' it at Hogwarts?"

"Of course not," Quinn said. Hagrid pulled out the pink umbrella again, tapped it twice on the side of the boat, and they sped off toward land.