Chapter Fifteen

Before Wednesday could fall asleep, however, Weems walked into the room and called for her. Wednesday sat up, looking at the furious woman. Weems stalked forward, sitting at Wednesday's desk, her face pulled into a scowl. Wednesday sighed and grabbed her bag; it seemed like it was time to clue in the principal. They'd put it off for long enough. Weems straightened, smoothing her perfect hair.

"Your continuous disregard for your safety and the safety of others," Weems started, her voice shaking with anger but as cold and calculated as ever, "Has given me reason to believe your presence is a detriment to this school." Ah, so Wednesday was being expelled. "I will be contacting your parents tomorrow to inform them of your escapades and your things will be removed from your room. I have to say, my disappoint-"

"I can't leave." Weems bristled at being interrupted and went to continue her rant, but Wednesday cut her off yet again. "Tyler, Enid, and I almost died earlier today," Wednesday lifted her shirt, showing the bandages wrapped around her torso. Weems gasped in horror, looking at the bandages that already had spots of blood seeping through them. "Because the cult is trying to capture Tyler and I for a ritual. They intend to resurrect," Wednesday stood, opened a drawer of her desk, and pulled out the drawing Rowan's mother had made, "Crackstone, and they need me to do it." Weems took the paper and stared at it, her eyes wide and beady, like a frightened rabbit's.

"This," Wednesday pointed to her drawn figure, "Is why Rowan wanted me dead. They killed him because he tried to hurt me, and they need me alive. They need me alive because they're going to use my blood to summon Crackstone, and they're going to break my bond with Tyler to use him as a monster in their army."

Wednesday leaned forward, holding the gaze of Weems firmly. "Larissa. People are about to start dying. War is on the horizon. You cannot protect these people any longer. You will die if you try." Weems took a shuddering breath, smoothing her clammy hands back and forth on her skirt. "You need to let me and the others finish this, because even if you expel me right now, the cult will kill all of you anyway."

Weems sighed, taking her hair out of its bun and running her fingers through it nervously. With her hair down, the principal looked like any other woman. She looked human, fallible, mortal. Wednesday and Weems knew that this case had to be solved soon, or Weems would be the next in line for the slaughter. Weems took a deep breath, letting the vulnerability and terror of her situation be displayed openly on her face. Then, she put her hair back up and schooled her face back into a controlled expression. When she looked at Wednesday, her eyes were determined.

"I cannot openly search for these people, but I won't expel you. You have blanket permission to do what is necessary, and I will do my best not to intercept what you do," Wednesday let out a small exhale of relief. At the very least, the threat of expulsion was off the table. "However," Weems continued, "If you force my hand publicly, I will have to expel you." Of course, even now, Weems was still concerned with the school's public image. Wednesday couldn't begrudge her that, however; it was just the type of woman Weems was.

Weems met Wednesday's eyes, and there was a level of bravery Wednesday had never seen from the woman. "If you can stay discreet, I won't look too hard for you." Wednesday nodded; that was the best she was going to get. "Wednesday." Wednesday looked at Weems and was stricken by just how devoted Weems was to this school, and to her students. "For the record, I cannot and will not endorse your actions. I am obligated to tell you that this course of action will likely result in the loss of your life, along with the lives of your peers," Weems said, her voice firm, "But, off the record, I will tell you that you are a cunning young woman with a rare amount of courage. I pray that you succeed." And with that, Weems got up and left Wednesday's room.

Wednesday sighed, Thing scampering out of his hiding spot as he joined her on the bed. WHAT-HAPPENED? Wednesday ran him through an overview, and Thing freaked out, as he was prone to do, before telling her she needed to call her parents and that it was time to leave the school. Wednesday told him, yet again, that she wasn't leaving. Disgruntled and afraid for Wednesday's life, Thing scuttled off to sulk. Wednesday sighed and grabbed the music box from her bag before walking over to the massive window and leaning her back against it.