Chapter Fourteen

TW: GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF VIOLENCE!!! VERY MUCH SO!!! skip to the very end for a recap but I cannot stress that warning enough. also! animal death (off-screen), but no other deaths!

It was pitch black outside, and the sky was thick with clouds. Even the moon didn't condone what the trio was about to do.

The three of them climbed into Tyler's car, with Wednesday taking the passenger's and Enid taking the back, and set off toward the mansion. Wednesday opened her bag, pulling out and organizing supplies. A flashlight for each of them, a sturdy double-sided hunter's knife (one edge is serrated and the other flat), a distress whistle, and a package of bandages (in the worst-case scenario). Wednesday passed out the supplies, and each of the others put them in their respective bags.

"What's the plan?" Enid asked, her voice slightly shaky. It was evident the girl was scared out of her wits, and Wednesday debated just telling her to go back. As much as Enid was Wednesday's friend, terrified people were slow, clumsy, and indecisive; a liability. Hopefully, nothing too bad would happy in the mansion that would put Enid or them at risk.

"We're going to go inside and take a look around in a group," Wednesday said simply. Enid looked even more scared.

"That's it? That's the whole plan?"

"Well, Enid, it's not like we know much about the layout of the house. They probably won't be having a cult meeting tonight, anyway." Tyler said, trying to keep the exasperation out of his voice. Enid didn't have to come; she'd wanted to, and so they brought her along, but her fear was paralyzing her.

"Probably?" Enid's voice was quivering, and she was shaking with adrenaline. Wednesday regretted bringing her along. "Why only probably?"

"Because we know nothing about the cult," Wednesday said, trying not to be annoyed. "We're going to be fine, we have the necessary supplies and we're only there to take a quick look around. If anything starts to look strange, we'll leave." Enid nodded, seemingly reassured by that idea, and the three of them spent the rest of the car ride in silence.

The path wove through the trees, long and winding as if trying to delay their arrival at the house. Wednesday saw a flash of red in her peripheral, and whipped her head around, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever had caught her eye. There was nothing there. Wednesday sighed, Enid's paranoia had rubbed off on her. However, despite knowing the red flash was just her overactive imagination, Wednesday couldn't shake the feeling that things were about to go truly, deeply wrong.

Wednesday gazed up at the gate, the fog curling around it just as it had in her vision with Goody. Wednesday wasn't afraid of being the raven; she wouldn't turn out like Goody, and she wouldn't be alone. I'm not afraid, Wednesday told herself. But Goody's words bounced around inside her mind, like a record on loop that she couldn't stop. You should be. You should be. You should be.

The Gates mansion looked even more decrepit and foreboding at night than it had during the day. The looming building was completely dark, with no sparks of flame or lights left on. Did the house even still have electricity? It must have since Wednesday had overheard the sheriff talking about the lights being left on a number of weeks ago. The place looked completely deserted, but Wednesday knew better than to trust what she saw. Tyler went to go completely up the drive but Wednesday told him to park slightly back, in case someone was inside and they slashed the tires.

The three of them climbed out, with Enid taking up the rear as they approached the hulking house. Wednesday walked up to the front door, moving the handle back and forth. It moved slightly, indicating it was unlocked, but Wednesday didn't fully open it. There was no typical horror movie creak or the sound of footsteps in the void that awaited them inside the house. Instead, there was only a bone-deep, instinctual knowledge that something was there. Someone was waiting for them inside, Wednesday knew it. Or maybe it was the paranoia speaking.