Chapter 23 - Closure

"Seriously Akshu... I can't believe you actually convinced Ma and Pa to go to the movies with you" Abhimanyu chuckled as Akshara sat nestled in his arms at his office in Birla Enterprises, flicking through photos she had taken and showing him.

She looked up at him, "well you left to go to London... who was I meant to hang out with?" she pouted.

"Only for three days and I asked you to come with me..." Abhimanyu defended "but madam had a date with my baby sister.. how could she say reschedule?"

Akshara sulked, sticking out her tongue at him as she turned off her phone and placed it on his desk.

The news of their engagement had been released for a month now and it was complete bliss. Contrary to everyone else's belief, Harshvardhan and Manjari had come around and decided to compromise in terms of what the wedding would be like. They still had the Birla reputation to protect so it was still going to be the event of the year but they now understood how much this wedding meant and they too decided the personal touches were needed. And perhaps it was best to keep it an intimate affair.

The entire office staff had thrown them a surprise party which had moved Akshara to tears. Everyone had suspected it seemed, they were all waiting for the official announcement. Everyone except Dhruv it seemed who had sheepishly rubbed the back of his head and apologised under Abhimanyu's stern stare to which Akshara had laughed and reassured him that it was all okay.

And even Radhika had sent flowers straight to her doorstep, making her cry as she read her card which held nothing but love and good wishes for their future ahead along with an invitation to visit her in Paris soon. She had even gone as far as to congratulate them on social media which had caught the media's attention, shooting all the gossip down instantly when the world realised there was very clearly no bad blood between Radhika and Akshara.

"Abhi mumma has sent rajma," Akshara told him lovingly, running her hands through his hair and Abhimanyu smiled, wondering if he should pinch himself.

"Is this all real Akshu?" he asked her gently overwhelmed, "this much happiness.. this much love?"

"Love..." Akshara whispered closing her eyes and leaning their foreheads together. "I would say it is very real because I could not sleep the three days you were gone.." she whispered

"Me too... it was a struggle," he told her back.

Akshara laughed, "I can't believe we have become that couple," she said.

"I don't care... just know that you are also not getting any sleep tonight" he whispered seductively, nipping at her ear and Akshara did her best not to moan out loud.

"Abhi" she whispered getting lost in him and then the two were interrupted by a noise that radiated from her phone.

Akshara stopped herself as Abhimanyu groaned, yelling at her phone in his mind as she gave him a knowing smile and picked up the call from Sara, the downstairs receptionist.

"What is it Sara?" Akshara asked gently smoothing out Abhi's hair. "Is there a new appointment?"

"Hi Ma'am... yes it is not for Sir though... it is for you... there is a middle-aged man and woman here with two young girls... they are seeking compensation"

Akshara froze on the spot.

No matter how hard you run, the past does catch up.

Abhimanyu clenched his fists as he overheard the conversation.

He had been waiting for this moment.

***

Akshara watched onwards, her heart rate pacing fast, as she sat across from Mohan and Rashmi Goenka and their daughters Arohi and Anu Goenka. She felt a hand slide over hers as she gazed at Abhimanyu who had asked if he could be present during the interaction. She gave him a weak smile back as she turned back to face the family. They were currently located in the conference room sipping tea.