Chapter 6 - Distance

Abhimanyu gazed over at Akshara's office, as he watched her ardently rush through and work through the tasks. It had been a week. And true to her word. She had kept her distance.

All his tasks were still set up every morning and including his steaming hot cup of coffee, just the way he liked it. But the difference was that Akshara had retreated, no longer would he find her there in the morning but instead she would prepare everything and update him via email. Of course, she would still present herself in person whenever required, but she would maintain her distance and answer his questions as needed.

It had started to irk him.

No matter how much he tried.

No matter what he asked her.

Her response was always professional.

Like a good secretary.

Like a perfect secretary.

And he hated it.

He knew he had messed up.

Messed up big time.

He could not sleep. Because all he dreamt about was her heartbroken face the moment he had yelled at him. Countless times he had been to the gym, boxing, just to get rid of the miserable feeling that sat in his chest.

He hated this.

He wanted to talk to her.

Wanted to hear her giggle.

Wanted to see the cute expressions on her face.

And not to mention her hand-cooked meal. He could not even think about that memory. The way he had opened the tiffin she had packed him and gobbled down every single bit of it. It was something he would hang on to for the rest of his life.

To have her hand-cooked meal.

Sighing he walked into her office, knocking gently.

Akshara busy in her work, stopped and stood up straight away as he walked in and bowed gently. Abhimanyu felt his stomach tie in knots, this formality was killing him.

"Sir.. did you need something? Sorry, you had to come in... what can I do?" Akshara enquired robotically, bringing out her notepad and preparing herself to dictate.

"Akshara..." Abhimanyu sighed.

Akshara kept her gaze focused on the notepad, not looking up at him because she knew she would falter.

"Akshara..." Abhimanyu began again, noticing her silence. "I am sorry"

Akshara's mouth widened but she still refused to meet his glance.

Taking a deep breath, she slowly looked up at him.

The sorrow in his eyes was evident.

"Sir... you have no reason to apologis.. everything you had said to me the other day was perfectly correct. In fact, I should be grateful to you that you brought it up with me. Thank you for this feedback, Sir. I will remain professional." Akshara said professionally.

Abhimanyu's heart hurt as he noted the straight look on her face.

"Akshara please" his heart gently cried.

"Please let me know if I can help with anything else Sir... otherwise I will resume my work," Akshara said in a robotic tone.

Abhimanyu sighed and left her office.

He had to fix this.

Our girl knows how to keep him in line!!

Be back tomorrow!

N x