Chapter 19 - Protector

Abhimanyu looked at her confused, his eyebrows scrunched as he tried to process what she had just said.

"Six years ago?" he asked confused... "but we met just a few months ago... when you came to work"

Akshara let out a gentle chuckle, finally lighting up a bit. She cupped his face and pressed a tight kiss to his lips which he quickly reciprocated.

"That is what you think Mr. Birla..." she teased, giving him her infamous toothy grin. And then she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close. "But we actually met years ago...maybe not face to face... but we did..."

He looked even more confused now, curious he pulled her close, "put me out of my misery Akshara"

She laughed, nodding as she settled back into his lap and wiped away her tears, forgetting her ghost of the past as she moved on to the part of the story that had formed who she was today. The sunshine her. The happy her. The carefree her.

"When I first moved to the NGO I was completely broken... completely shattered with such little self-esteem... but then I met the children at the NGO... worked with them, taught them and their sunlight echoed into mine. I wanted to free myself... I wanted to become someone... I studied hard to apply for many scholarships, working part-time jobs so that I could get into a good university course. I wanted to prove to myself that I could become someone... I knew it was ambitious... when I barely had any funds.. any savings... I was just 18 at the time but still, that is what I wanted"

Abhimanyu looked at her in admiration, giving her a proud look. Her determination and strength was unwavering.

"But it was hard Abhi... even if I studied my hardest and refined my knowledge on everything... something or the other would always trump me... the daughter of a wealthy family member... some inner secret connections... or experiences on a resume that I could simply not afford. Paying for tuition was completely beyond me... so a scholarship was the only way."

Akshara sighed, stopping as she remembered the grind those days took.

"I was not asking for some pity party... but just an even leveling ground when it came to selecting candidates... just a fair shot... and then it came"

Akshara turned around and faced him, "you came"

Abhimanyu inhaled a sharp breath and Akshara smiled at him tearfully.

She dug through her purse and found her phone and then located the email that she had saved permanently on her phone.

"Here" she whispered as she handed him her phone.

The email read:

"Dear Candidate 18092,

Congratulations!

We are pleased to offer you a fully supported position in our 'Bachelor of Commerce' course. You have been granted the recipient of this year's BE scholarship which will mean that the three years of your undergraduate course will be fully funded.

The selection criteria was a combination of your written test, resume, and finally most importantly the business proposal. Mr. Abhimanyu Birla, our chair, would like to relay some feedback that this is the best business proposal he has seen in all his years of being the head of the judgment panel. He is thoroughly impressed with you candidate 18092 and believes that you will have an extremely bright future ahead.

We wish you all the best. Please find attached some documents, including your confirmation letter with some instructions for the next steps and terms and conditions.