A First Day

Michiru woke up with a start, her body tensing as she slowly began to wake up. She took a deep breath and stretched her arms above her head to ease the tension in her joints after a night's fitful sleep. She looked over to see her twin sister, Haruhi, still asleep, curled up on her futon. A blanket lay draped over her shoulder, covering her face. She smiled affectionately as she looked at her sister, remembering how cute they'd been together when they were younger. It was hard to believe those days were now long gone. Now, they were first-year high school students at Ouran Academy, a school built for those who practically came from royalty- primarily by children of the rich and famous. It made sense, considering their motto:

Lineage counts first; wealth a close second.

Michi sighed as she remembered taking the entrance exams with her sister months prior. They had both studied so hard the nights beforehand, and all that hard work had come to fruition when they received a letter stating that they had both passed with flying colors. Of course, Haruhi had it a bit easier than Michiru because while they both had to take the academic tests, Michi also had to audition for their musical program for her scholarship. She remembered the tears in their father's eyes as he praised his two beautiful daughters for their talent and wit. He could barely let go long enough for the pair to breathe that day.

Michi was soon brought back to reality when the blaring sound of their alarm clock finally went off. She jumped in her skin, letting out a heavy sigh as she pulled herself out of bed to grab her clothes for the day. As she rummaged through their shared dresser, she giggled as she heard Haruhi grumble as she woke up, sticking her hand out from beneath her blanket as she haphazardly tried to turn the alarm off. Michi just shook her head before pulling on a chocolate brown turtleneck and pulling over a yellow cable-knit sweater over her head. She hummed when she realized it was slightly oversized but shrugged as she didn't mind it being slightly bigger. Ouran Academy had uniforms for those who attended; however, they were way out of their family's price range, so they had permission to wear everyday clothes if appropriate. Shimmying into her leggings, she turned to check on Haruhi once more.

"Morning, Haru," Michiru smiled as she looked at her groggy, short-haired sister, giggling once more at the messy strands of brown hair sticking from her sister's head. She could only imagine how bad her hair was.

"Good morning," Haruhi said in a sleepy voice as she sat up and rubbed some sleepies out of her eyes. She slowly grabbed her glasses from their nightstand and stood up, sighing as she stretched her tired body.

"I'm going to finish getting ready. Do you need the bathroom," Michi asked lightly as she slipped on her socks.

Haruhi grumbled a bit as she stumbled across the room toward the dresser. Michi stepped aside so her sister could reach the chest. "I'll be ready when you're out."

Michi nodded before she made her way over to the bathroom. Once she looked in the mirror, she made a face of frustration as she ran her fingers through her tangled hair. Having no initiative to brush through her hair thoroughly, especially since she was long overdue for her haircut, she decided to grab the comb, untangle her knots, and throw her hair into twin plaits. It took longer than it should have, but finally, after much difficulty and grumbling from Michi herself, she was able to look presentable again. As she walked back into the hall, she popped her head into the bedroom.

"Haru, the bathroom's free," she called out before walking toward the living area, where she found their father wearing a bathrobe and slippers, his hair a mess in a low pony as he hovered over the stovetop. Behind her, she heard Haruhi grumble as she went into the bathroom after her.

"Morning, Dad," she greeted her father excitedly as she flattened out her outfit.

Ryouji Fujioka was a doting father to his daughters- solicitous and affectionate whenever he could spare time. As soon as he heard her voice, he turned to smile at her.