06. Eavesdropping

It was a very cool and windy day, something which was very unusual in the month of March. It felt good that day. It was a day worth hanging out with your closest friends. But ninth graders had something else in mind.
In the afternoon Jiya was sitting on her computer reading soft copy of the notes given by her teacher. She soon felt thirsty and got up from the table to fetch some water.

While returning from the kitchen, she heard whispers from her parents’ room which made her stop in her tracks. Though, the door to the room was open, so she decided to enter the room and regretted the idea of invading their privacy. One should not disturb others when they’re having a private talk or something. It should be none of someone’s concern, didn’t it?

Jiya never liked to invade someone’s privacy or to act like a total pervert who always meddles with other’s lives. She was not interested in doing such things and could not understand why many people; especially in India always have something to do with others.

As she entered the room, her parents’ whispers stopped only to snap their heads towards her. She said nothing and sat on the bed casually, playing dumb as if she hadn’t heard or done anything. Mr. and Mrs. Rathod turned towards each other, confused.

“What happened? Did I miss or interrupt something?” Jiya said, trying to sound as casual as she could.

“Oh no dear, of course not!” her mother replied in a sickeningly sweet tone which Jiya hadn’t noticed before. Hmm, maybe those two are up to something…she thought. “Then why are you guys making confused faces? Were you discussing something important?” she then demanded.

“No, not really.” her father replied monotonously. “Yeah it’s nothing, really….we were just discussing about a boy in my family. Well he’s like your elder brother and is going to get married. The girl he’s gonna marry looks very ugly unlike him who himself is very charming. I can’t believe how his parents agreed to have an ugly daughter- in – law. It’s so weird…” her mom added. Jiya sighed in contempt. How could her parents be so judgmental? That too HER parents!

Is that really true that getting a partner is the sole purpose of life? And those who do not get one, are they not human? Why don’t people normalize those daily life conversations? Why most of them go with looks of some people? Aren’t they taught in school, not to comment on someone’s looks for it can hurt them in many ways? Is it just to read and write or will there be an implementation of those things in our daily lives? Well enough was enough…

“Mother, I guess there’s nothing wrong in that….” Jiya suddenly interrupted her mom.

“What? What did you say?”

“Yes mother, you heard me, nothing’s wrong in a handsome guy marrying or dating a different looking girl. Why to judge a person by their looks?” Jiya demanded. She never was this courageous to even be this straight forward. She almost controlled her tongue not to utter something foolish which might make her parents lose their temper, but this time it wasn’t the same as she was before.

“No that isn’t possible, it can’t be. Girls must take good care of themselves, it doesn’t matter how the boy looks. You’re still only fourteen years old and don’t know anything about this society. Marriages happen, they’re always like this!"

“You’re totally wrong mom….”Jiya was cut short by her mom.

“Oh god! Teenagers these days! They won’t stop arguing with their own parents, off you go!”

“But mom, it’s for a good cause!”

“Get out! Now!” mother yelled, startling Jiya. “But mom,”

“Now!”

As her mom grew ferocious, Jiya thought stepping out was the best option for now. Without bickering, she got out of their room with a scowl on her face.

Arguing with the typical sarcastic Indian mother was always a failure. She’s going to outsmart you at some point of your conversation. She wasn’t quarreling over a pointless topic; it was for a good cause, wasn’t it?

She felt aggravated. How could people be so unpractical for god’s sake!? This isn’t fine.