Prologue

I had just returned from the Operation Theater. I removed my blood stained blue apron and the cap. Today had been weird. I didn't know how the blood oozed out of the patient's body while operating on her. For the first time I'm doubting myself if I'm capable of doing this or not. Because I don't want to end up like another Kabir Singh. I don't want to turn to alcohol and turn a psycho ultimately. Being a surgeon is stressful but at the same time mental peace is important too.

After washing my hands, I splashed some water on my face, wear my spectacles and enter my cabin to put on my white coat. I subconsciously run my hands over the fabric. Dad would've been so proud if he would have been able to see me like this, just like how he wanted. But time flies too fast.

Just as I took my seat, Abhimanyu, my colleague, burst through the doors almost making me jump. He without waiting for my permission, sat across me. I shook my head at him. He sometimes reminded me of Sid when I was in college. Their behaviors' was just the same. There was this time when I was a newbie in this City Hospital along with Abhi...well, time.

I sighed, looking at the photo frame on my desk. I wished she were here with me. We would've been such a power couple...

"What's up with you, Doctor? Something wrong? You also weren't careful while the operating on the patient... what was her name again?"

Abhi's voice brought me back to reality. He was like my friend since we are working together. I realized he was talking of the patient.

"Esha Arora." I said playing with the paper weight on my table. I didn't make eye-contact with him. I missed her. Not Esha, just her...

"I'm just not feeling like it today...I don't know why," I said as I leaned back on my chair.

I felt a little down today. Maybe I knew why so.

I felt Abhi's eyes on me. Well, he has the right to question me though. He's just worried about me because he knows that I'm a single father. My princess must be back by now, I think as I look at my wrist watch. Even though she's not my own but I still love her a lot. She's my angel and so was another girl, but now, we're not together. She did wish me on my birthday on 24th December. We haven't talked since then.

This doesn't change anything neither does it sound like a problem. Then why am I feeling uneasy today of all days? Is something going to happen? Something...not very good?

Abhi straightened in his seat and had his brows pinched in concern.

"I see... you're missing her again, aren't you?" he asked the obvious. Of course I was missing her so damned much. And the worse point is, he knew about her. She's famous here in the city. Don't ask why. She's a Doctor too. Period.

I nodded, smiling to myself. He probably noticed it. That girl had the ability to make me smile.

"Hmm...and what's with that smile of yours?" he teased me. That bastard!

"It's nothing...I just remembered something, something good," I said exhaling from my mouth.

"So, Dr. Khanna is sighing because he's missing his lady. Can you please narrate what you were just reminded of?" he gave a sly smile.

"Do I have to?"

"Yes, please." He gestured for me to go on.

~

I thought she had bunked classes that day, but no.

I also called her home and asked my gang where she was.