Chapter 43 Hannahs Thoughts

I reluctantly rolled out of bed. Last night had been particularly cold and I did not wish to escape my warm comforter but it was Christmas morning and I was sure to already be late for the festival.

"Good your awake." Lilly entered my room a dress in her arms. We hadn't spoke since our encounter with Delilah.

I rubbed my eyes and attempted to fix my hair. It was so strange. I don't know what came over me the other day. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it and it wasn't that I did not feel extremely attracted to Lilly but the fact that William did not only accept me for my past but wanted a future made me second guess everything. He held a future and promise for a good life. It would secure my family name and insure my sisters had good partners for their future as well. All that aside the way he looked at me...it made me want to be better then what I am. So far all Lilly brought to my life was sin and jealousy. Yet I could not let myself think about having to let her go.

"I am a bit late." I finally spoke.

"Yes they have all already eaten Christmas breakfast. I was sent to fetch you. Queen Thea said she wanted you by her side for the day."

"Lilly....I do not know what happened the other day." I started.

"There is no time to discuss it now." She eyes the open door. "Just please promise me you will not count me out."

I understood she too did not want whatever this was to end. "William proposed....and I accepted."

My words seemed to drain a little sparkle from her eyes. She came closer taking my hand in hers. "I don't know what happened either. I swear that was not my plan. It wasn't her plan either...it was like the air made us do it. I couldn't resist either of you but I swear it wasn't my intention to force that on you. I care so much for you...I've never felt like this with anyone. The other servent girls...it's just to get through this horrid life...they mean nothing to me."

I let her words hang in the air as she rest her for head on mine. I could smell her sweet soap. I wanted nothing more but to reach out and run my hands through her hair. I wanted her to take me to bed and make me wet with pleasure. But all I could think about was William.

"Hannah?" Thea's voice made us both jump. Neither of us had heard her enter. She stood in front of my fire place clutching her very pregnant belly. Eyes wide I could tell she was trying to compose herself.

"My queen." Lilly jumped back as far she could from me and bowed.

"I was just getting dressed." I blurted out ripping the dress from Lilly's hands.

Thea's eyes darted between the two of us. "You've..missed breakfast. But the day is still young." She composed herself. "Please meet me in the garden In 5 minutes ? We are all taking a walk."

"Of course." I nodded and watched as she eyed us a few more times before exiting the room with a confused expression.

Lilly helped me dress without another word. I quickly layered on clothing to protect me from the weather and left my chamber without even looking at her. What were we thinking? Why didn't Lilly close the door? She makes me so careless.

Deep in thought I did not watch where I was going and ran straight into Queen Tiana. "I am so sorry your grace."

"Oh your Hannah right ? Queen Theas ladies maid." Her reply was warm and I was grateful she was not like our mother queen.

"Yes, I joined her since her voyage here." I replied.

"She must feel very lucky to have a friendly face in this place." Queen Tiana glanced around in disgust before composing herself again. "May I accompany you to the gardens ?"

"Of course." I said walking side by side with her.

"I was with my son but he seemed to have disappeared. Any chance he can get to have a glimpse of Rosemary he takes it. I am afraid he will drive her away." She said.

"Prince Edmond seems lovely. I do not think princess Rosemary will mind his presence." I replied.

We small talked until we reached the group of women gathered in the garden. Queen Elizabeth stood closely to poor Rosemary who looked as uncomfortable as one could. Queen Tiana was right Edmund stood as appropriately close to the poor girl as society would allow. King Silas seemed to be trying to make conversation with Queen Thea who seemed to be completely uninterested in what ever he was trying to say. I was actually shocked that Fiona was not apart of the group. I wondered if she had left for her new kingdom yet. Several of the counsel members, their family and some nobles also joined us.

"Oh look everyone is now here." Thea said relieved. "Shall we begin our stroll ? The castle gardeners have worked hard to give us a show to walk through. I simply cannot wait to see the white roses." She linked arms with me and lead the charge. Everyone reluctantly trailed behind. There seemed to be so much tension happening lately tbat it did not feel like Christmas.

We only took two steps into the garden before I heard Silas welcome William. I turned with bright eyes. He was home and safe.

"William." I ran up to him.

"I told you I promised to be back by Christmas." He chuckled. Lifting my hand he kissed it.

"I assume you got my answer ?" The king asked. Several of the counsel members gathered around him.

"Yes...I can assure you there is no dragon threat to our kingdom." William said with a slight chuckle.

"What a relief!" Queen Thea chimed in. "And a wonderful Christmas present."

"King Silas! King Silas! Come quick!" A maid ran towards us obviously frantic. "It's Peter."

We all rushed to follow Silas to the front gates where we found the most horrible scene. Peter was being escorted into the gates by two guards. A thick coat of blood dripped down him. Thea began to cry. I knew they had grown to be good friends and I couldn't imagine what she must be feeling. She sunk in my arms sobbing. I held her as best I could. Glancing to William I selfishly was thankful it wasn't him who had this fate. But my heart broke for our kingdom. I could only assume we were about to lose the best of all the kings men.