FIVE| two burly men

EDEN'S eyes trailed over the houses they were passing.

After a rather rude awakening from JJ, Eden found herself in the back of the Twinkie with John B. and the blonde boy, on her way to visit Lana Grubbs—aka, Scooters wife.   Eden wasn't actually too sure about the idea, actually. Scooter had just died, and Ms. Lana was in the midst of grieving, not the best time to ask about a compass that was found on the boat he died on.

But, Eden had nothing better to do today, so she decided to tag along, just to keep John B. and JJ from getting into any trouble, as they usually did. 

"I'm just saying, like, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara.  She clearly likes you." JJ's voice rang through the Twinkie, "She's like, 'Oh John B.'"  He moaned, and Eden gave her usual eye roll.

John B. looked at him with amusement, "Is that she does?"

"She's sketching about you diving, and then she kissed you, bro."

"She kissed me on the cheek." John B. corrected the blonde boy, "It's not like we were makin' out or something."

Eden put her arms around the two seats, leaning in so her head was right in between the two boys. "A kiss is a kiss, John B.  No matter how small."

John B. narrowed his eyes, "Are you sure you didn't just quote a Dr. Seuss book?"

"Why would Dr. Seuss write about people making out?—"

"Low-hanging fruit, bro." JJ continued on with the main focus of the conversation, cutting off Eden. "Don't pretend that you don't notice.  I see it in your eyes.  You're like, 'I kinda like that'  and you start blushing and shit..."

John B. deadpanned, "I blush?"

"Well no shit you blush." Eden replied, "You like the attention she's giving you."

John B. was about to reply, but got cut off when JJ's hand shot up to the dashboard and grabbed the compass.  The brunette boy immediately tried to grab it back, but hesitantly allowed the blonde to look when he stated, "I was just looking at it."

"I gotta admit, your fathers compass in Scooter's boat, that's freaky."

"Yeah. That's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure this whole thing out." John B. replied, eyes darting between the blonde and the road.

"Because we're probably the first people that Ms. Lana wants to talk to after Scooter's death...." Eden trailed off, sighing as she leaned back against her seat.  She hoped that this conversation didn't end up terribly.

Pulling up to the house and beginning to walk up to it, both boys were quick to comment on the house's paint job.  John B. was first, "Know what this house looks like?"

JJ looked back at John B. "Whoever lives here smokes too much weed."

Eden walked ahead of the two boys, scoffing at their comments. "You don't get to talk, JJ.  Last time I checked—" She went silent as her ears caught hold of the sound of smashing glass and loud crashes. 

"Bullshit!"

"Maybe we should come back.  It's a little too soon—" JJ hesitantly stopped walking, worried that it wasn't the best time to walk in on Ms. Lana.

"J, shut up!" Eden hissed, getting closer to the house. "I don't think that's Ms. Lana making those sounds."

"Tell me where it is or I'll fuck you up!"