THREE| never mix kooks and pogues

EDEN didn't know what to say as the group of Pogues all sat in silence at John B.'s.  Surprisingly enough, they hadn't said anything about the boat—let alone anything at all to one another—since they returned back to home base.

She wanted to bring it up.  They needed too, at some point.  How could they not mention the fact that they'd found a dead man's boat, one that many other—and more experienced—people were trying to search for this very moment.   Heck, they could probably get a reward for this thing, but, her Eden was, twiddling her thumbs.

Pope then barged in the door, ending the silence with a concerned filled voice, "So, um, we didn't see anything.  We don't know anything." He pointed his fingers at everyone as he spoke, ending with them on John B. "We need to have total and complete amnesia."

"Actually, Pope's right for once." JJ responded, quickly getting up from his chair.  He crossed the room, coming up next to John B. "See, I agree with you sometimes.  Deny, deny, deny."

Kiara speaks up, shaking her head. "Guys, we can't keep that money."   

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara."

Eden really didn't like when they had to choose something that had to do with money, like right now.  She knew her and Kiara had the advantage, that they shouldn't have a say in this—both had the advantage of being semi-Kooks, giving them all the money they could possibly want—but, it didn't feel right stealing this cash, even if it would go towards getting Pope into college, or doing something good for John B. and JJ.

"We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs." Kiara looks at Eden, who gives a slight nod with an apologetic look. "Otherwise, it's bad karma."

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too." Pope huffed, leaning forward, "We gotta go dark."

"If that means we get to keep the money, I agree." JJ responded, turning to look outside the window of the Routledge house.

John B. shook his shoulder, "I don't agree."

"What? Why?"

"Just think about it." John B. responded, walking across the room to where Eden was curled up.  She watched as he spoke, taking in what he was saying. 

"This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about.  Right? Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole.  Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas.  We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat, who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket, and all of the sudden, he's got a Grady-White? Just sayin'"

"I mean, you have a point."  Eden speaks up after a moment, giving a small look over at John B.   If Scooter was well a marina rat—as John B. had called him—then there was no way he could have had the money to buy some kook boat such as a Grady-White.  And, if he did, Eden was sure he would have used some of it to get him and Lana out of the cut, in a better home at that. 

"So, you think he was involved in something bigger?" Pope asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Think about it, Pope." John B. replied, "How does a marina rat get a Grady-White?"

Pope inhaled slightly. "Prostitution."

"Square groupers, bro. Okay, flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance.  They don't do that stuff during a hurricane." John B. looked back, pointing towards JJ, "What does that mean? JJ?"