28 • 𝓕𝓵𝓪𝓶𝓮 𝓗𝓪𝓼𝓱𝓲𝓻𝓪 - 𝓡𝓮𝓷𝓰𝓸𝓴𝓾 𝓚𝔂𝓸𝓳𝓾𝓻𝓸

Start from the beginning

"Enough of that sighing, Fuku." she said gently," Go on and eat your bun."

"Yeah." 

The hallway was empty. No one was in sight, no customers to buy a bento or a drink. "Not many customers again today, right?" the grandmother opened a book," I know I say this every day, but it's dangerous out at night. Tomorrow, you could start helping out in the afternoon. Since the demons come out at night."

"All clear!" the Demon Slayer reported. A Kasugai crow flew onto his shoulder. "I took a look around, but there was nothing amiss."

"Right!" Rengoku said. The both of them turned when they heard a little girl's voice yell out.

"There aren't any demons!" she protested, still clutching her bean-paste bun," Just stop, will you? I have to sell as many bento as I can! It's hard enough with my mother being pregnant. And I heard my father's shop isn't doing very well."

The grandmother placed her cook book down on the table, still smiling. "You can leave that mind of worrying with us adults," she said," I'll take care of the early morning and night times by myself, okay?"

"And what are we gonna do when you get attacked by the Slasher?"

"I would be more happy to sacrifice my life than yours."

"Grandma!" The girl wanted to say something else, but stopped when she felt someone standing in front of her. 

"Well! Good evening!" Rengoku greeted her, staring down at her," The moon is quite exquisite tonight, is it not? 

I'm searching for a demon. You haven't seen one, heave you?"

The other slayer was stunned by how up front he was. Even his crow cawed out," Kyojuro-sama! You're far too blunt!" It flapped its wings several times, clearly surprised. 

The grandmother widened her eyes when she saw him. Rengoku was quick to catch on. "Ma'am, is there something you need to tell me?"

Fuku, however, shielded her grandmother from him. "D-demon? What kind of talk is that?" she said," Wh-what's wrong with you? Stay away from us!"

The Flame Hashira wasn't at all offended. Instead, he seemed genuinely concerned about something else.

"Look out!" he said," If you keep shaking like that, you'll end up dropping your precious bean-paste bun!" 

I guess it wasn't that precious to her, because she threw it at Rengoku's face. He picked it up from his face, and took a bite from it. The other slayer watched him, his eyes dotted. 

"UMAI!"

Fuku was till angry. "I don't believe in demons!" she declared," There's no way there could eb any, and you know it!"

"Kuku, that's enough," the grandmother stepped in and held her by her shoulders. "I don't believe this man is a bad person."

Fuku tried to say something, but relented. I'm sorry. I feel like I'm always on edge these days because of the Slasher."

"If what I was just told was correct, you two start working out while it's dark and sell your bento. I couldn't be more thankful. No one should hurt people like you. But you can rest easy now! I'll take care of that Slasher!"

The girl was in awe. "Who in the world are you?" she wondered. Her question went unanswered because Rengoku and the other Slayer went away.

Before the Hashira even made five steps, Fuku called after him. "Excurse me!" she said, holding out her tray," Umm, if you don't mind, could you maybe buy some bento?"