Chapter 39

Without any lights, the group was in complete darkness. The tall buildings prevented the moonlight from shining down on them. No Infected were around, but a chorus of screeching was heard in the distance. Soon, they would be swarmed.

"Fuck," Gomez muttered. "We can't see shit. This is pointless."

Evey squinted to try and see better, but it did not help. The group stopped when Johnson quit walking down the highway.

"He's right," Johnson said. "How can we navigate our way if we cannot see?"

"This was Evey's dumb idea," Gomez said.

"I didn't know it would be this dark," she said.

Their voices were low as they spoke. Joey was in Evey's arms, resting his head on her shoulder.

"We need to think of something new," Johnson said.

"Do we go back?" Fiona asked.

"No," Evey said. "We need to get to the hospital."

"She just wants us all to die," Gomez said.

Evey scowled and shifted Joey's weight in her arms. They had already lost so many people. The hurt was heavy in her chest as she thought about Lila and Josie.

"We cannot go by air," Johnson said. "How about underground?"

"What do you mean?" Connar asked.

"I grew up in Toronto," Johnson said. "The subway is near."

"Follow the tracks?" Ford asked.

Johnson nodded, but no one could see his movement. He turned on the flashlight. A bright beam of light shone onto Evey and Joey. Ford ripped it out of Johnson's hand and turned it off.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Ford asked. "You'll kill her."

"We're going to need some kind of light," Johnson said. "No Infected are around."

"How do you know that?" Gomez asked. "We're blind out here."

Johnson sighed in frustration.

"I can't get us to the subway without being able to see," he said.

"What about once we get into the subway?" Gomez asked. "It's a death trap."

"No," Connar said. "They're hunters. That is how they survive. They would all be at surface level. The only ones down there are the ones that are stuck."

"Your theories are just as dumb as Evey's," Gomez said.

Ford balled his fist at his side and gritted his teeth.

"We have to try," Evey said.

"Exactly," Johnson said. "Ford, give me the light."

He passed Johnson the flashlight, and he pointed it to the ground. Evey's heart was pounding as she tightened her grip on Joey. The shrieking echoed through the air. Her knife was strapped to her thigh, but how well could she attack an Infected with Joey in her arms?

They walked with one beam of light leading the way. Ford stayed close by Evey's side as Johnson led the way to the subway. He led them into the sound of shrieking and cries. Evey's stomach was in a knot as they made their way to the subway station.

The doors to the station were open. An echo of a cry came from inside. Gomez shook his head and took a step back. He held his blade out, and Evey could see how his hand trembled.

"We are not going in there," he said.

"Fine," Johnson said. "Wait out here in the dark. See how long you last."

Gomez muttered a curse.

"I'm not leading the way," he said. "This is Evey's idea. She should put the kid down and risk her life for once."

Another screech came from the station. Unlike in the city, there was only one scream and not a chorus of noises. The group stayed quiet as they listened to the Infected scream.

"I'll go," Evey said.

She placed Joey down on his feet. He clung to her leg and stuck his thumb in his mouth. She ran her fingers through his blond curls before pulling his hands off her. Fiona picked Joey up into her arms. Evey stepped toward the stairs to the station, and Ford grabbed her shoulder.

"You can't go down there," he said. "You're not going first."

Ford turned on his light and pulled his knife out of the sheath. The beam of light led the way as Ford walked down the steps. Evey stayed close behind. She struggled not to reach out and put her hand on Ford's shoulder. She looked behind her to see Johnson was close. The civilians walked down while Gomez was at the back of the group.

The station was dark. A loud screech caused Evey to jump. Ford flashed the light to show an Infected woman on the other side of the gate. Blood was pouring from her eyes, and she was foaming at the mouth. Her arms were outstretched as she ran into the gate. She tried to push her way through but was stuck. Ford sighed before walking up to the gate. He dodged her attack when she swiped at him. He snatched her wrist and yanked her forward. The blade buried deep into the Infected's skull. She dropped to the ground when Ford let go.

"One down," Gomez said. "Just another thousand to go."

"I doubt there will be that many," Connar said.

"What if there is?" Fiona asked.

She had Joey's hand in her own. He sucked on his thumb as he looked around the station. Cries came from the distance.

"We have to keep moving forward," Evey said. "If we head back, we're all going to die eventually. We might as well try."

She stepped in front of Ford. Putting her hand on the gate, she pushed herself up and swung her legs over to the other side. She stepped over the dead Infected's body. Ford followed, and he and Johnson helped the rest of the civilians over to the other side.

Ford and Evey walked side by side as they descended the stairs. The only light came from the flashlight. Ford turned it to the side, and two Infected sprinted across the platform. Johnson shone his light in the opposite direction to reveal another Infected running toward the group.

Evey focused on her breathing as she stepped toward the Infected with his outstretched hands. She grabbed his wrist and pulled his arm behind his back. Kicking his shin, he tumbled to the floor, and Evey shoved the knife into the top of his head.

The Infected woman was quickly approaching her. Evey yanked the knife, but the blade was buried deep into the man's skull. She gritted her teeth as she tried to pull her weapon free. Her heart slammed against her ribcage as the woman was just meters away. Ford grabbed the flashlight with two hands and swung. It knocked the woman off her feet, and Ford put his foot on her chest. He slit the Infected's throat, and she let out a gurgled cry.

Connar was focused on the man on the other side. He sliced his knife through the air, and the Infected ran forward with outstretched hands.

"I got this one," Connar said.

He smiled as he ran toward the man. The Infected reached to grab Connar's shirt, but he ducked. The Infected screeched and spun. Connar lunged forward and forced the knife under Infected's chin. The Infected slumped forward, and Connar pushed him off.

"This will be easy," Connar said. "Let's get to the hospital."

He jumped down onto the subway track. Evey rolled her eyes before following. Together, the walked down the pitch black subway tunnel full of Infected with only two beams of light.