Chapter 19

Evey woke when she heard Josie and Joey running up and down the hallway. She pushed herself up and dug the heel of her palm into her eye. The twins were giggling and she listened to them chase each other.

Her gun and knife were sitting on the nightstand. She rushed to get out of bed and pulled a pair of shorts and a T-shirt out of the dresser. She strapped the knife and gun to her thigh before hurrying out of the room. Josie and Joey smiled at Evey before running down the stairs.

She followed them down into the living room. Through the large window, she could see the four soldiers gathered in the middle of the street. Connar was walking out of the home across the road and she could see Fiona on the porch next to that house.

Evey went outside, her curiosity getting the better of her, and walked up to the group. Ford looked over at Evey and shook his head. He did not want her near, but she was not going to listen to him. She put her hand on his shoulder and forced herself into their conversation. Connar had done the same and his eyes went wide when he saw the gun on Evey's thigh.

"First a knife and now a gun?" Connar asked. "Not fair. I want to kill some zombies too."

"How many times do I have to tell you that they are not zombies?" Johnson said.

"They're zombies," Connar said. "And I want a gun."

Harrington looked over at Johnson. He shrugged his shoulders, but Johnson shook his head.

"He's a kid," Johnson said. "I don't want him to have a gun."

"So I have to be a snack to one of those things?" Connar asked.

"I'll teach him," Harrington said. "If we're traveling and get attacked we are going to need as many people as possible with a gun."

"There may not be a lot of traveling left," Johnson said.

"Why?" Ford asked.

Johnson let out a deep breath and stood straighter.

"I made communication with other survivors," he said. "I think the others should be here with us."

Evey smiled. She was positive that there were other Immune people out there, but she did not know what the chances of making contact would be. She could get the twins somewhere safe. She could put them somewhere where one of the soldiers would not worry about the children slowing them down.

"Go get Nicole and Roger," Johnson told Connar. "Gomez, bring out Anjo."

They nodded before going to the homes. Johnson waved Fiona off the porch and over to the group. She furrowed her brows as she hurried over.

A few minutes passed in awkward silence as the rest of the civilians joined. Nicole's eyes were rimmed red from crying continuously since Ivan's death. Anjo yawned before scratching the back of his head. Roger did not look like a priest anymore as he was wearing a T-shirt and jeans.

"What's going on?" Fiona asked.

"I made contact with a group of survivors," Johnson said. "They want us to join them."

"Where are they?" Anjo asked.

"Toronto," Johnson said.

Ford scoffed and shook his head.

"No," he said.

"What's so bad about Toronto?" Evey asked.

"It's suicide."

"What are you talking about?"

"It'll be swarmed with Infected cannibals."

Evey furrowed her brows. She looked over at Johnson. He was chewing on his lip.