Chapter 3

There were two other people in the truck when Evey was brought back. She recognized Fiona, a middle-aged woman who Evey used to look after her cats when she would go on vacation. The other was a teenage boy she did not recognize. Evey sat down, and Ford slammed the door shut.

Evey took a deep breath and tilted her head to rest against the wall. Her back ached from Ford knocking her to the ground. She wanted to keep crying, but she could not find the tears.

"How stoked are you guys to be part of the zombie apocalypse?" the teenage boy asked.

"Excuse me?" Evey asked.

"Zombies," he said. "That's what I saw."

"There's no such thing as zombies," Fiona said.

"What would you say is happening?" he asked.

"I don't know, but I just watched my whole family be murdered," Evey said.

"Because they were zombies," he said.

Evey balled up her hand into a fist. She let out a slow breath to stop herself from punching the boy in the face. Right now, she was in the worst moment of her life, and he was joking about it.

"My name is Connar," he said. "We should get to know each other in order to survive this."

"You don't think they're going to kill us?" Evey asked.

"We're going to die?" Fiona asked.

Connar shook his head.

"They are bringing us to a safe zone," he said. "Why kill us?"

"Why kill our families?" Evey asked.

"Because they're infected," he said. "I watched my parents and sister get killed too."

Evey leaned forward and buried her head in her hands. The truck jostled as they drove. There were no windows, so she had yet to learn where they were heading.

Evey thought back to the man at the gas station. She had never seen someone attack someone else like that. The man took chunks of flesh off his body with his teeth, and blood was everywhere. Could it be zombies?

She shook her head. The thought was ridiculous.

The truck stopped moving. Evey listened to the doors slam shut and footsteps walk around the truck. The door opened and Ford cocked his head to the side to motion for them to get out.

Evey stepped out and looked at her old high school. The last time she had been was her graduation. A banner was hanging on the door congratulating this year's graduating class.

"Why are we here?" Evey asked.

"This is our safe zone?" Johnson asked.

A few other trucks were in the parking lot, and people were being ushered into the building by soldiers. Fiona and Connar joined the line entering the school.

"Come on, Everett," Johnson said.

She was the last person to enter the school. Ford closed the door. Soldiers were standing by the doors and were scattered down the hall. Johnson pointed to the gym and Evey walked in.

She could see roughly fifty people in the gym. Some had gathered together and were trying to decipher what was happening. Connar was talking to the largest group and animatedly waving his arms. Evey didn't want to listen to his zombie theory.

Evey saw two children in the corner of the gym. They were sitting on the floor with their arms around each other. Evey's heart ached as they looked a few years younger than Lila. They had matching blond hair and blue eyes. The girl was crying and had a teddy bear clutched to her chest.