Chapter 14

Evey only fell into pockets of sleep throughout the night. Every time the house would creak, her eyes would fly open and her heart would pound. She kept the dagger clutched to her chest all night. There was no way that she would let Ford kill Josie or Joey.

She yawned as pushed herself up so that she was sitting. The twins were still asleep in the bed. She slipped the knife back into the sheath and stood. She listened as Ford walked down the hall and then the creaky stairs.

Evey slipped into the hallway and shut the bedroom door behind her. Ford was in the kitchen looking through the cupboards. She stayed at the bottom of the steps and watched him. His weapons were lying on the kitchen counter. In jeans and a T-shirt, it was the most casual she had ever seen him. He was reaching up as he searched through the cupboard and all she could see were the dark tattoos on his toned arms.

Evey furrowed her brows and tilted her head to the side as she tried to make out the shapes. She took a few steps forward, but when Ford heard her he slammed the door shut. He narrowed his eyes in an intense stare. Evey froze.

"Where were you last night?" he asked.

"Excuse me?" she asked.

"You weren't in that bedroom," he said. "Where were you? I saw you go up the stairs."

Ford's eyes went wide when the realization hit him. Evey crossed her arms over her chest.

"You were with the kids, weren't you?" he asked.

"I told you I am not going to let you kill them," she said.

Ford shook his head. He ran his fingers through his dark hair.

"I am not going to kill the twins," he said.

"That's not what you said last night," Evey said.

"My God, Everett. I was talking about a worst-case scenario. I was only thinking of the group."

"Which is why we're going to go with Gomez or Harrington, not you."

Not Johnson either, Evey thought. He killed Lila.

"That's not happening," Ford said.

"We're not safe with you," she said.

"Everett, I don't want to kill children."

"But you're going to."

Ford let out a cry. He balled up his hand and swung. Evey flinched as his fist collided with the cupboard. The wood cracked and split. He was seething as he pulled open a drawer and searched through it. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. He shoved them into his pocket. He stormed across the kitchen and pushed past Evey.

"I need a smoke," he mumbled.

Evey watched as he walked out the back door and slammed it shut. She sighed and the tension from being around Ford was gone. She looked up the steps. Should she grab the children and bring them to Harrington or Gomez before Ford comes back in?

The weapons on the table grabbed Evey's attention. She could not rely on the soldiers for long to keep her and the twins safe. She needed to learn how to fight.

She walked up to the table and ran her fingers across the gun lying on the table. She thought about picking it up but knew nothing about safeties. The last thing she wanted was for the gun to go off and for Ford to run into the house. He would never let her near one again.

Evey looked out the window to see Ford standing in the middle of the yard. His back was to the house. A trail of cigarette smoke blew into the air. He kept running his fingers through his hair. Had she stressed him out? She could hear him muttering swear words.