Chapter 17

Evey never thought she'd be in a situation where she had a knife strapped to one thigh and a gun strapped to her other. She was supposed to be on nights this week. She was anticipating rushing around the emergency room all night and having post-night shift nausea when she got home and attempted to sleep. Now, she was fighting for her life.

Ford climbed into the driver's side of the truck and slammed the door. He glanced down at the gun on Evey's thigh, shook his head, and then started the vehicle.

He drove off the field and back onto the road. Evey stared out the window as they drove through the town. Bodies were laying in yards and Ford had to dodge the odd body on the road. Evey had seen many dead bodies as a nurse, but she had never seen them so casually laying around a community.

"This is all so weird," Evey said. "I wonder when this will feel normal."

"It won't," Ford said.

"I'm sure one day it will."

"Doubt it."

Evey let out a deep breath and ran her finger through her curls. Silence sat heavy in the truck. Evey glanced at the bodies of a family, two parents, and two small children, in front of one house. Where was everyone in this town that was Immune? What made them so special that they were Immune?

"How come we aren't getting sick?" Evey asked.

Ford cleared his throat and straightened his posture in his seat. He curled his fingers tighter around the steering wheel.

"What is it?" Evey asked.

"The virus can't attach to our cells," he said. "We won't get sick."

"What do you mean?"

"It's some T-cell thing."

"How do you know that?"

There was a screech. Ford glanced into the rearview mirror. Two Infected were running down the street and chasing the truck. Blood was dripping out of their eyes and saliva foamed at their mouth. Evey reached for the gun strapped to her thigh.

"Don't," Ford said. "Us shooting is what attracted them."

He stopped the truck and grabbed his knife.

"Don't get out," he said.

Evey rolled her eyes. Ford got out of the truck and slammed the door. Evey looked out the back window to see Ford walking toward the two Infected that were running. There was no way that he could take on the two of them by himself. She could already imagine both of them feasting on his flesh. She saved his life once and she was going to do it again. There was no way that she was going to stay in the truck.

Ford grabbed the collar of one of the Infected. He pulled the man close. The Infected tried to bite him, but he dodged his attack. Ford swung his knife and buried the blade under the man's chin. He ripped the blade free and the Infected slumped forward onto Ford.

The second man ran at Ford and he used the dead Infected's body as a shield. The Infected ran forward with outstretched hands. Ford blocked his attack with the dead Infected's body. He swung his hand to the side, but the Infected grabbed his wrist. Ford struggled to pull his arm free.

Evey ran toward Ford. He was trying to twist his hand free from the Infected. His eyes went wide when he saw that Evey was out of the truck.

"Hey!" Evey shouted. She waved her arms in the air to catch the Infected's attention. "Get away from him!"

"Everett!" he shouted. "Go back!"

She ignored him and tightened her grip on the knife. The Infected looked behind himself at Evey. He screeched and let go of Ford's hand. He charged toward Evey.

Her mouth went dry as her heart pounded in her chest. She was going to have to act quickly and not overthink this. Aim for the head. That is what Ford and Johnson had always said.

"Everett, run!" Ford yelled.

Evey ran, but toward the Infected. He reached for Evey. She ducked and dodged his attempt to grab her. She struggled not to stumble as she avoided his attacks while trying to get closer to him. She rushed behind the Infected, grabbed his shoulder, and swung her knife. She forced the blade through his skull.

She let go of the handle and the knife. The Infected's body fell to the asphalt. Evey stared down at the dead man. She had spent the last four years saving people as a nurse, and now she was brutally killing men and women.

Evey gasped when a hand grabbed her shoulder. She spun around, preparing to attack the Infected holding onto her. Her knife was in the other man's skull and she forgot the gun on her thigh. She was not used to carrying weapons yet. All she had were her hands, so she raised her fist and prepared to swing.

Her wrist was snatched in a crushing grip. Ford had a hold of Evey and yank her closer. He scowled and somehow tightened his hold. She gritted her teeth, not wanting to show that she was in pain.

"You don't listen," Ford said.

"I saved your ass again," Evey said.

"No," he said. "I don't need help."

"You would have been lunch if it wasn't for me. Admit it."

"Get in the truck."

Evey let out a huff of breath and ripped her arm out of his grasp. She kneeled and grabbed the handle of the knife. She pushed her hand against his head to help her pull the blade out. Grey matter flew out of the wound when she pulled the blade free. The man's brains were stuck to the edge of the knife. She wiped the blade on the man's shirt before sliding the knife back into the sheath. She looked over her shoulder to see that Ford was staring.

"I saved you," she said. "You would have been dead twice if it wasn't for me."

"Truck," he said. "Now."

Evey stormed toward the truck. She wanted to walk back to the house, but there were two problems. One problem was that she did not know the way. The other problem was that she knew there were chances of being swarmed by Infected.

Ford and Evey did not say another word to each other as he drove back to the house.