Isla had lived in the same house her entire life. There had been times when she'd gone to the summer cottage on the lake, for sure, but the thought of her mother and father having to sell that property, and arguing while they did it, broke her heart.

It not only broke her heart, it shattered it like glass when she had to think about her parents selling the house they'd raised their family in.

There was a lot more arguing now about money. Isla's mother wanted to save more, but her father was spending as though he was still well off.

He was, but only because his own parents were supplementing the bills, which put Isla's mother in debt with her in laws.

Isla's mother couldn't take that. It grated on her, irritated her, and made her antsy.

Isla was terrified that her parents were going to get a divorce if Isla couldn't get the business back, and get her mother back working in it so make some money.

"What are you thinking about? Come on, Sweetie, talk to me. Tell me what's going on?"

"My parents will have to sell the house the cottage. They might get a divorce because my mom is getting fed up with my dad."

She couldn't even say those words without nearly bursting into tears. It was too much, too hard for her to accept. She couldn't allow that to happen.

Jane cocked her head again. Her expression was sympathetic, but what came out of her mouth was not exactly what Isla wanted to hear. "You're a grown woman now, and so is your brother. It won't be the end of the world if they divorce and have to sell the house."

"But they can't do that!" Isla said, she tensed in her seat, nearly knocking over her empty plate with the pizza crusts on it.

Jane didn't mention a word about a possible mess on her rug. She just waited for Isla to continue.

"We all grew up in that house, we were happy in that house, and we were happy spending our summers at the cottage."

Jane took in another deep breath, and Isla knew that, once again, the woman was going to have to be the voice of reason, and Isla wasn't going to hear the thing she wanted most.

"Look, I get that those things have sentimental value to you, but your life isn't going to stop if things change. Does it matter if your parents get a divorce? They're both grown adults who can choose to do whatever they want. And lets say they don't divorce—"

"They will if they sell the house. Daddy doesn't want to sell it and mom is fighting him on it."

Isla just knew that her daddy wouldn't forgive her mother if the house needed to be sold. Regardless of whose fault it was, the house needed to stay.

"We live in a nice apartment in the city. They could easily live in a place like this and still get by just fine. This place we're in isn't exactly cheap, and your parents would still be able to afford this much.