Booked And Behave

(River's Version):

I quickly shove on some jeans and a shirt I found at the foot of my bed. I quickly brushed my teeth before grabbing the store keys and rushing out. I was suppose to be there 30 minutes ago, I'm fucking doomed. I sprint to the store and waiting for me was, you guessed it, my manager.

"I am so sorry," I pant out.

"You are so lucky we're understaffed, or you'd be fired. We're catering at an event where we can make a bunch of money, so don't ruin it for me," he says, drool slipping from his mouth onto his beard.

I nod my head and follow him inside. Gosh, today will be a long day.

I put on an apron and started working on an order that was shoved into my hand a couple seconds ago. It was a Grande Caramel Nonfat Latte and a chocolate croissant. I heat up the croissant while making the drink. I keep the recipe in mind so I could try it later, it smells really good.

"Order for 13" I called out.

The same lady, the one I bumped into yesterday, made her way to me, and I think she recognized me.

"Are you the girl from yesterday?" she asks, taking her order.

"Yeah I am, nice seeing you again," I say, being polite.

Looking at the rush, she smiles and walks off. Why does she keep wearing hats and masks? I shrug the thought away and focus on working on more orders.

"Order for 19,"... "Order for 22"... "Order for 43"... "Order for 77"

"Hey, umm Jared said you have a 30 minute lunch break," one of the other workers tell me.

I thank him and sigh in relief. It was almost 2 pm and I was really hungry. I make my way over to a shop 10 minutes away and get myself a Grilled Cheese. I walk back a couple minutes later and sit down at the bench and eat my sandwich.

"Hey! Get back inside, we're packed!" Jared yells at me.

"What no! I'm on break!" I yell.

He knocks the sandwich out my arms and drags me through the back.

"Get your apron on and go work, I don't care about your stupid break!" he screams, shoving the apron at me.

I sigh but tie it on and walk to the register. A couple of hours go by just like that. I was finally able to leave in an hour, I didn't want to go home. Mondays are my days off and I'm looking forward to it.

But to my surprise, we closed 45 minutes early.

"What's going on?" I ask James, one of the other workers.

"We're going to go over catering rules for Tuesday," he responds.

Jared walks in the room, handing out everyone a paper to follow along with.

"As you guys have heard, we were chosen to cater a party. They chose us to cater pastries and drink, and you all will be there holding plates of food for our guests to try. First up is dress code, white button down shirts and black pants. You need to be there at 7 pm sharp and you will be required to stay until 11 pm or longer, depending on when the event ends. The paper says the details on it, don't ruin this for us, especially you, River."

Everyone looks back at me and my face turns red from embarrassment. I slightly nod my head before quickly walking off.

This will be great.