Unpaid & Overworked

(River's Version):

"No! I am not working another three hours without getting paid extra!" I say, slightly raising my voice.

"Unless you want to be fired, I would suggest agreeing," Jared says, smirking.

He was my manager and knowing that I was fourteen and couldn't work at most places, he would always threaten to fire me. It's not a good idea to give in to that, but I didn't really have an option.

He tossed me the keys in a rather aggressive manner before storming out. The flower pot fell off the tiny table next to the door due to how hard he'd slammed it.

I sigh and grab the broom laying against the light grey wall. I sweep up all the dirt and try to get all of it that seeped thought the crack in the floor. I sweep it all into the trash can, and and carefully pick up the glass shards and stuff them into the trash. I empty the trash and throw it into the dumpster behind the café.

I look out and see a crowd of people gathering around the lake as the show was going to start. Someone had opened the door making the bell ring, pulling me out of my thoughts.

Since today was the start of Christmas break for many schools, most parents would come with their children to see the light show, and since the café I work at is close by, many customers would stop by after for a treat.

I watch the light show though the windows while serving the occasional costumers that stopped by. And since it was really cold, most people ordered hot beverages which made it longer to make. And they came with their kids, and kids usually change their order every other minute, making it difficult to understand them.

A large rush of people came as soon as the light show was done. I really wish I could have fully seen it this year, they added fireworks to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of the light show.

After a gruesome three hours, everyone left and I could finally close up. I made about 50$ through tips, which I could luckily keep. I powered off all the machines, unplugged the tvs and turned off all the lights. I switched on the flashlight on my phone and found my belongings. I put of my jackets and grab my wallet & the keys. I lock up the café and start walking "home".

I was half asleep, my eyes were threatening to close, and it was almost midnight. I pull my jacket closer to me, trying to keep myself warm, and without looking, I bumped into someone.

"Shit," I look up and stumbled back.

I look up and saw a woman. I couldn't see much of her cause it was really dark and she hat a hat and sunglasses on.

"I'm so sorry," I apologize.

"It's not your fault, I should have watched out," she say

I scratch the back of my head, not knowing what to say.

What are you doing all alone at midnight?" she asks, probably concerned.

"Oh umm.. nothing," I lied, as she raised her eyebrow.

"Well umm.. nice to meet you, but I got to go," I add, before taking of swiftly.

"Wait..." I can hear her say.

But I just keep walking, my cheeks red from that encounter. I don't look back until I get to the hotel. I was able to convince one of the hotel staff to let me stay somewhere there. He resultantly agreed and gave me an old cellar like room. 

It was really dark and tiny, with one small window. The paint was chipped nd the wood was cracked. I would see a mouse scurry by every now and then. But still, at least I had a place to stay. I tidied it up a little but and it still looked really dull and old. But it is what it is.