Part 91: The invisible targets

Start from the beginning

Hugo scowled. "What was done to him for you think that?"

It was obvious that Slughorn was forgetting that they were only students, and not fellow staff members. He was getting comfortable. "His face was bruised and bloodied, three of his fingers were broken in a merciless way, and he had two cracked ribs," he told them. "He was the most recent attack. It makes us fear that the victims may start to get older in age, and that the injuries will soon be major."

"Have you guys really ruled out magic and spells in these attacks?" Lily asked.

"These attacks were physical and brutal. There's no doubt. And Madam Pomfrey agrees with that," Slughorn sighed.

"At least magic can fix and help them," Lily mumbled.

"Our worst fear is that not only will the injuries get worse, but that the attacks will get even more cruel," Slughorn murmured.

"What do you mean by that, sir?" Hugo asked.

"So far, all of these attacks have been against boys. But our fears are that soon, one of these brutal and horrible attacks could target a first year girl. And I don't mean to be sexist, but that would be the cruelest attack of all."

Lily and Hugo left Slughorn's office not much later, and made their way to where they would begin their patrols.

"See! They think I'm right! It's seventh years. Seventh year boys!" Hugo said fiercely.

"But now what do we do?" Lily asked. "What else have we learned that can help us move this along?"

Hugo shrugged. "We find this Lyle Pickering, and we talk to him," he stated.

Lily raised a brow. "If he wouldn't talk to the staff, you really think he'd talk to us?"

"Lil, it's you! You know how many kids look up to you, and trust you?" Hugo replied.

But Lily shook her head. "This is different, Huey. This is fear! I don't think I can help with this. And, when someone wants my help, it's because they come to me and want it. I've never gone up to a kid and asked them about their personal problems."

Hugo scowled as he began to think again. "Well . . . there has to be something!"

Lily sighed. "Look, Hugo, if I could figure out and do something that would stop all of this, I would. But . . . I have nothing. That's why I think we should just follow orders."

He shoved his hands into his pockets. "Well I don't think that's what Jacob wants," he mumbled.

Lily gave him a confused look. "What?"

Hugo rolled his eyes. "Oh, come on, Lil! Think! Why else would he put us together? The two of us, who together plotted to take down Brunt? Who staged her media downfall, and eventual career downfall? I think that they put us together, because as a team, we can get things done. We can figure things like this out!"

"That sounds like just a guess to me," Lily pointed out.

"Well it's a belief in my book," Hugo retorted. "I think that they want us to do something about this!"

Lily rubbed her temples lightly. "Hugo, I've been told this before, so I'm going to tell you. We are not our parents. Our parents did stuff like this and more, so that we wouldn't have to," she replied.

"But we are their kids!" Hugo countered. "It's in our blood. Just because we weren't born to do it, don't mean we can't! And we may not be them, but we inherited their sense of right and wrong, and their urges to fight against what's wrong."

She raised a brow and looked at him. "Just a question of curiosity, but, why are you so insistent about this?"

Hugo was face firm and serious. "Because it's wrong. The simple idea puts a sick feeling in my stomach. I just . . . personally, I can't let it continue without trying to stop it myself."