§4. First Impressions

Start from the beginning

'You're ruthless,' I said. Was he drunk?

'Which you need,' he claimed with a smirk.

I frowned. 'You don't even know me.'

'No, I don't, but I've got a vague idea of what I'm dealing with.' He shrugged. 'My intuition tends to serve me well.'

I blinked at his cockiness. 'Are you drunk, Will?'

His brows furrowed. 'What makes you think that? No. I've had two cocktails.'

'Because your head is messed up.'

'You've messed it up.'

I snorted. 'That's ridiculous. What a cheesy line.'

'Better than "have we met?", though.'

I glared at him, and he glared straight back. Eventually, he tilted his head and watched me as though he were trying to solve an enigma.

'If you'd actually had a boyfriend,' he said with narrowed eyes, 'I doubt you'd allow me to keep my arm round you like this, much less let me pour your drink into your mouth. Then again, you could just be a partner prone to cheating, but I seriously doubt you're the type. You seem too righteous.'

I leaned forward and grabbed my espresso martini. 'I don't see why we're even entertaining this question. You said you'd prefer to know because you'd like to see me again, but in case you've already forgotten, I live in Edinburgh.'

'Sure, but for now you're still in London. How long are you staying?'

'Will,' I shook my head, 'I'm not going to set aside time to see you. I'm here to spend time with Livy.'

'Who is obviously interested in getting laid.' He jerked his head in Olivia's direction. Looking over, I saw her laughing at something Andrew must have said. 'I'm sure she'd appreciate it if I took you off her hands, at least for tonight.'

Though it had been on the cards, his proposal still took me by surprise. I faced him, and his eyes were ablaze – two blue flames, wild in their craving for me.

Under the dim orange light, he resembled something of the divine. A Greek god, perhaps, and I was only a mere mortal. How was I supposed to resist such celestial temptation? I was submitting to his power more by the second.

I struggled to fathom the reality that I had only met this man mere moments ago. Our chemistry was clearly off the charts.

When I had spent too long contemplating his offer, his impatience got the better of him. 'Listen, we can either spend all night bickering, or we can spend this ridiculous energy in my bed. It's up to you.' His tone was clipped while his gaze burrowed into mine. 'Either way, you would be doing both yourself and your friend a favour by joining me back at mine.'

Pink and breathless, I looked away from him. This man surely didn't beat around the bush. He hadn't even kissed me yet, and now he was suggesting sex? What sort of a scene was he into? No-strings-attached, I reckoned. That notion filled me with relief, because I didn't have the capacity for romance at this point in my life.

To buy more time, I raised my drink. 'I'm not nearly drunk enough for this,' I said and filled my mouth with the liquid courage. Amused, William watched me drain the remaining contents.

'I fancy my women responsive, Sandra, so please keep the intake to a minimum.'

'You're speaking as if I've agreed,' I said and put my empty glass on the table.

Just as I was about to grab my next drink, a large and unfamiliar hand clasped my jaw. Turning my face toward him, William leaned in until our noses touched. Only then did he pause his advances.