§4. First Impressions

His statement expelled the air from my lungs, but I couldn't take my eyes off him. He had me trapped in his gaze.

Astonished, I asked, 'Are you always this crude?'

'Sorry,' he apologised insincerely and put my cocktail back on the table. 'I can't seem to think straight in your presence. My tongue travels before my mind.'

The edge of his mouth tucked up to form a crooked smile, and I recognised it as the one he had already presented several times. It was unique to him, and a testament to his cunning and calculating persona. The shape of it whispered tales of his intellectual conquests, of how sublimely he outwitted any opponent. Anyone could have been fooled by the invincibility it exuded, and yet, despite this, I thought I detected a hint of veiled vulnerability, and it intrigued me.

'Anyway,' he interrupted my analysis, 'though I haven't been acting my age, I'm twenty-eight. How old are you?'

Since I saw no harm in sharing this detail about myself, I said, 'Twenty-three.'

'So you're in your—'

'Ah-ah,' I interrupted. 'My turn.' I pointed at my chest and his eyes followed. It occurred to me then that I had directed his gaze straight to my shy amount of cleavage. Immediately, heat flooded my face, causing a crimson blush to penetrate my faint layer of make-up. I hurried to lower my hands to my lap. William seemed equally bothered, his gaze veering to Olivia and Andrew.

Was it possible that he harboured at least a modicum of respect for me? I had just provided him with a golden opportunity to ogle my breasts, but instead, he had hastily looked elsewhere. It increased my faith in him. Perhaps he wasn't so terrible after all.

'First impressions,' he muttered. 'They can be surprisingly difficult to disprove.'

I chuckled. 'Spoken like a true solicitor.'

He gave me a vague smile. 'Your turn, you said. What would you like to know?'

Where to begin? Glancing at Olivia and Andrew, I was reminded of his companion. They seemed like good friends, and that made me curious. 'How long have you known Andy?'

'My whole life. My turn.' He grinned. 'What are your interests, aside from medicine?'

That was a substantial question. 'Er, I have eclectic tastes, so I find that question too vast to answer. You'll have to filter it down.'

'What do you spend your spare time doing?'

I scoffed. 'Spare time? What spare time?'

'Have you got a boyfriend?' he suddenly tossed at me.

I stiffened. 'That's none of your business.'

A lascivious gleam entered his arresting eyes, and it captured me wholly. All I wanted was to explore the dancing blue depths. In so many ways, he seemed like a promise of pleasure. Given his level of self-assurance, I couldn't imagine that he would disappoint between the sheets, so why did I deny myself the chance to explore his potential?

His smile turned crooked again. 'I assure you, darling, it is.'

Unsure of what he meant, I looked briefly away. I had a vague idea, but I wanted to be certain. Frankly, I wanted to hear him confess it.

'And how is that?'

'Because I'd like to see you again.' His smile faded. 'So, if you've got a boyfriend, I'd prefer to know. I'll have to reconsider my tactics, then.'

I gaped. 'Reconsider your tactics?' I echoed disbelievingly. 'Are you trying to say that if I do have a boyfriend, you won't respect it?'

'No, I'll respect it – physically.' Glancing away, he murmured, 'But I'll try and tempt you to leave him.'