(17.) A Light in the Dark

Y/N's POV:

Within less than half of an hour, we had a plan on what to do next. Everyone was going to go back to their own house to get everything they needed, including Walkmans and music (for the targets) a change of clothes (for Nancy, Robin, and I) or whatever anyone else might need to survive the rest of this day. Then, Max, Dustin and I would head over to the Wheelers, as we agreed that it was best that Max wasn't alone for too long.

I quickly changed out of the horrendous outfit that Nancy picked out, and put on a (whatever tf you want, just make it groovy, dude). Then, the search for my Walkman began.

Except I had no idea where it was.

"Hey, Dustin, do you happen to know where my old Walkman is? Or the tape of Video Killed the  Radio Star?" I asked my brother as I walked into his room.

"Uh, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the living room." He said from the foot of his bed. he has a sort of flat expression on his face. Normally he would make some sarcastic remark about how I'm always losing things, right when I need them, but there was something off with him.

"Hey, you okay, Dust?" I ask, taking a seat next to him. "You seem a little down.

"Well, yeah, I just saw my friend float up into the sky." He exclaimed. There's that sarcasm. "Sorry, it's just been really stressful lately."

"trust me, I get it. I know that Max is a really good friend of yours, and—" I say.

"No, it's not just that!" He said, suddenly standing up. "I'm worried about you! You and Max are supposedly 'timed targets,' so if you weren't in the trance with her earlier, who knows when it could happen! I'm scared of what might happen to you. You're my sister, after all! You're my best friend." He looks at the floor, tears forming in his eyes.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay, Dusty." I say, bringing him into the hug. "I'm not going anywhere. If something does happen, and I get pulled into some weird-ass trance dimension, I'm gonna fight my way out by all means necessary. I promise."

"I just can't lose you, Y/N. Please don't leave me." He was full on crying at this point.

"I'm not going anywhere. Never." I say. I take a step away from him so I can see his face. "I'm not gonna let anything happen to me. Or you, for that matter. You're stuck with me, you know." He lets out a small laugh.

I snatch his hat and ruffle his hair. "I'm gonna go look for the Walkman." I make my way out of his room.

"Hey! Give me my hat back!" He yells, chasing me down the hall.

"Then help me find my damn music!" I yell back.

"Language, you two!" Our mother calls from the chair where she sits with Tews. 

"Aha! Here it is, Y/N!" Dustin calls from behind the couch. He hands me the player.

"Whatever are you two doing?" My mom asks. 

"Hey, do you happen to know where my Buggles tape is, mom?" I ask.

"Uh... it should probably be with the others on the kitchen. What's the big rush?" She replies.

"Oh, you know, we love our Age of Plastic!" I say, giving a fake laugh in hopes of her believing us, and Dustin does so as well. I can't exactly say 'Oh, yeah, there's an evil demon-thing chasing after Max and I, and the only way to stop our bones contorting into a billion different directions is listening to your favorite song!' 

"Yes, I remember when that was the two of you would do. Just listen to that same song, over, and over, and over again! You two were so sweet back then!" She says.