The Premise

To start off the reviews, I'm going to talk about the plot and what I think about it. For the most part, I think that "The 100" has a really interesting story line. Obviously similar concepts have been played with in the past, but there are always qualities that distinguish them from one another.

Some things I particularly liked about this one is that there was a valid reason for sending the hundred to the ground. It wasn't just, "oh, maybe Earth will be better now. Let's send some teenagers on a suicide mission". They did it because the Ark was running out of oxygen. Getting rid of all of those kids might buy them another month. Plus, as Jaha once said, "your crimes have made you expendable". Everyone that took off on that drop ship was a criminal and the council probably justified their actions with the fact that they were all sentenced to death when they turned eighteen anyway.

I'll admit, when I first started watching this show, I thought it would be all about finding food and water and shelter and basically just surviving. I was right about one thing: it is about surviving, but not in the same way. There are the grounders who have inhabited the land for who knows how long and they aren't very happy that the hundred are invading their space. Instant conflict. This is now a war.

At times the show can get pretty brutal but that's what makes it interesting. Maybe one of the best parts of the show is that it isn't your typical teen drama. Sure, there's romance, but it definitely isn't the main part of the show. There is an abundance of action scenes and it deals with real world themes and concepts.

Earth is constantly testing the characters in many different ways. Many popular shows start to get repetitive but "The 100" has a clear plot that changes in each season. Once a threat's gone, it's usually gone. It doesn't just reappear later and events don't repeat themselves. I can't thank Jason Rothenberg and the writers enough for that.

If you're looking for other stories to compare "The 100" to, here are a few that when combined might create something that resembles the show:

1. Game of Thrones

2. Lord of the Flies

3. Lost

4. The Hunger Games

5. Battlestar Galactica

There are certainly elements that these all share with each other. I can't help but notice them when I'm watching a new episode (too bad there's no new one's any more). I just thought I might include that.

If you are interested, I posted an incredible video at the top that shows a lot of the highlights of the show. It's an incredibly made fan-video and is exceptionally well edited. If you haven't watched all of "The 100", be warned: it has spoilers! Anyway, thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!